2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what on earth is there to do in Evanston, Wyoming? i just took a job that will require me to move there for atleast a year or so. I've been looking online but cant find anything in that area except for the municiple golf course. lol anyone ever lived or vacationed within 3 hours of this place??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i've been lookin around and there's sum good hunting in that area. colorado is like a trip to the coast here in texas i guess that gives me an excuse to get an elk gun..... looks like they have a nice municiple course too....

·
Registered
187 Posts
I lived in Salt Lake City for 3 years. I went to Evanston every 2 weeks. You are only about 2 1/2 hours from Salt Lake. Beautiful place, small town, nice people. If you like to ski or snowmobile, you will enjoy. Hunting is great, but weird rules. At least in Utah, you have to draw for tags and you have to designate quadrant of state you want to hunt. You also aren't real far from Yellowstone and Jackson Hole,Wy. If you are a good ole Texas boy, 2-3 winters and you've had enough of that white stuff. email if you need more info.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
you got the miracle mile, med bow national forest. relatively close to the snake river in utah, up by island park. out of state fishing licsense used to be a 100 a year, hunting was expensive to. learn how to cast a fly rod

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice guys. startin to look up fo me. as long as theres a place to hunt and fish i'll survive. my buddy is trying to get rid of his 4wt Sage so i might have to get it from him for cheap......

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You couldn't ask for a better place to live. While i was up there, i was checking out employment opportunities for myself so i could justify the move. Did not find anything in my field. I think it's one of the few places in the states that hire "cowboys" out of the classified section in the newspaper. Beautiful place.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
We are looking to buy property in the North East corner of Utah. I, my wife and kids really enjoy that area. Alot of summer and winter things to do there. Hey t-tung I met the Jamacian Bob Sled team a few years back. Great bunch. You should try to hitch a ride down the mountain with those guys. What a blast. My wife and I did the bobsled track in Park City that was used in 2000 Olympics with one of the American drivers. It was awesome. Around 90mph and pulled approx. 6 g's in one of the turns. What an experience. Some incredible counrty in that area. Enjoy the sights. Some pretty good fly-fishing too.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
those are some gorgeous pics... the way it was described to me was that it was a high desert with sage brush and yada yada. thats funny u mention the cowboys in the classifieds, the guy that helped me get the job also described it as the true Wild West with real cowboys that'll spit on your boots and what not. i hope they're not like some others states that hate us just for being from Texas. im really looking for a good area to shoot an elk... doesnt have to b a trophy... even a cow would b fine... what am i looking at as far as travel and price??

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just did a quick search on Yahoo travel. IAH to SLC middle of August $291- $387 direct on Delta. Pick your days and be flexible.Don't mess with the stopover flights, not worth it. I flew Delta and flew it about 1/month for 3 years. Seems like half the time, I tried to save a little, the other airlines had a delay and it would take 6-8 hours or more to fly. SLC is Delta's hub for the West- Always on time
My $.02

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah im flying Delta on wednesday... direct flight. not sure what its costing... the company booked it. tryin to figure out how far i have to travel to kill an elk. not sure where in that area i can kill one... dont want to have to put in for a drawing or whatever. would rather take a guide.... ive been wanting to get into fly-fishing for a while... guess im gonna have to visit my ol' coworkers in the flyshop in Cabela's and get setup.....

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update

Well i went up to Wyoming last week. The trip up there was a novel all by itself. turns out im on a watchlist for something i had in my carry-on a couple years ago. i was "randomly" searched 3 times and they conveniently lost my luggage for a day. anyways, i got there in one piece and got a tour of the countryside. absolutely gorgeous drive from SLC to evanston. water everywhere i looked. stopped in at the local grocery/gun/liquor store in Evanston and picked up all of the literature i need as far as hunting and fishing regulations go. The guy behind the counter even gave me the booklet that has all of the public hunting lands in it. he said they usually either destroy them when they get them or safegaurd them with their lives.after talking to him for about 15 minutes or so he said he'd try to hold a few of the leftover antelope tags for me that they sell on the 15th of this month. he also said that the sheep ranchers around there will give u anywhere from $5 to $30 a head for coyotes that u kill off their land. sounds like an excuse to buy me another AR-15 or the AR-10 i've been wanting. nice guy to talk to. now how do i say this without sounding like an *****....... people up there arent quite as friendly as they are here in the south. I guess i've always taken "southern hospitality" for granted. if u smile, wave, or say hi to anyone u may as well have kicked their dog. its going to take sum time getting used to. other than that i think im going to like it if i can just find a way to get a trailer full of mesquite up there i'll do fine. kinda hard to bar-b-que with evergreens or sagebrush. drove by/through Park City but didnt get to stop and look around. im sure i'll visit it here pretty soon. moving up there at the end of this coming week if i can get everything out of my house by then. thank you Roland (bayquest) and Terry (rambunctious) for the contact info. sorry i havent had a chance to get in touch with y'all yet. this past week has been chaotic but i will.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Hmmm...actually, I've found the people in WY to be much more friendly than Houston-area Texans. I don't think I ever drove by a car up there that they didn't wave at us. People make it a point in Cheyenne to say hello to everyone they walk past. Reminded me of the way Texas used to be. Not sure about Evanston because I've never been there. Everyone I met in most of the rest of WY was extremely friendly. Hopefully your experience was an isolated incident. ;)

If you enjoy the outdoors, you are going to love Wyoming. There is a lot to do. Buy an RV or travel trailer. We went all over WY, CO, and NE when we lived in Denver. LOTS to see and do. Enjoy it before you move back to this hell-hole. :D

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
next to alaska, wyoming is the least densely populated state in america. it's always seemed to me that the less people are crammed together, the more friendly they tend to be.

we vacationed in wyoming a few times when i was a kid. wyoming has some of the greatest natural beauty of any state in the union.

the wide open spaces, the natural beauty, the laid-back lifestyle, fishing, hunting, skiing in the winter, the mountains, yellowstone .... jeez, what more could you ask for? i'm envious. i'd love to move to wyoming, idaho, or montana when my kids get out of school.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no doubt about it...

it is more beautiful than i expected and looking at this booklet, theres public hunting and fishing land all over the state. Unfortunately/fortunately (not sure yet) I will only be in Wyoming till may or so. then they're moving me to Grand Junction, Colorado, which i heard is also a gorgeous place to live. around 70K people there instead of roughly 11k in Evanston.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shadman

just saw your post. yeah i hope it was an isolated incident. i'm headed up their with an open mind as some suggested before. there's going to be @$$holes everywhere u go. i'm sure there are some really nice folks up there too. just about everyone i've talked to about it says they're envious... getting more and more excited about it as the days pass. i think i'm going to do some volunteer water rescue work for the fire/sheriff's departments up there since i have my rescue diver certification. hopefully that will put me on some peoples' good side. i was reading sum fishing regulations and found out you can spear legal gamefish from june 1st through august 31st in designated lakes and resevoirs. kinda cool and different. i think i'm going to need a thicker wetsuit... or atleast a thick hood........... thomas

1 - 20 of 22 Posts