·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a beginning ...

U.S. DECLARATION OF WAR AGAINST GERMANY
War Message of the President (Roosevelt) to the Congress, Dec. 11, 1941

"To the Congress of the United States:

On the morning of December 11 the Government of Germany, pursuing its course of world conquest, declared war against the United States.

The long known and the long expected has thus taken place. The forces endeavoring to enslave the entire world now are moving toward this hemisphere.

Never before has there been a greater challenge to life, liberty, and civilization.

Delay invites greater danger. Rapid and united effort by all the peoples of the world who are determined to remain free will insure a world victory of the forces of justice and of righteousness over the forces of savagery and of barbarism.

Italy also has declared war against the United States.

I therefore request the Congress to recognize a state of war between the United States and Germany and between the United States and Italy.

FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT.

THE WHITE HOUSE, "December 11, 1941."

(Documents on American Foreign Relations, vol. IV, 1941 / 1942. p. 121. World Peace Foundation, 1942)

Joint Resolution Declaring that a State of War Exists Between the People of Germany and the People of the United States, Dec. 11, 1941

"Whereas the Government of Germany has formally declared war against the Government and the people of the United States of America: Therefore be it

"Resolved, etc., That the state of war between the United States and the Government of Germany which has thus been thrust upon the United States is hereby formally declared; and the President is hereby authorized and directed to employ the entire naval and military forces of the United States and the resources of the Government to carry on war against the Government of Germany; and, to bring the conflict to a successful termination, all of the resources of the country are hereby pledged by the Congress of the United States."

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My husband had ...

a German Leuger (SP?) that he picked up during the Battle of the Bulge. He also brought home a beautiful dress sword with the **** emblem on it.
We met right after his return to the states.

·
Banned
702 Posts
That aint nuttin'.. I gotta WWII daddy whom I love dearly. (AJ, ya wanna sell the Luger???)

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I DID know where both items are.

Eric was had only a few guns. He had his double barreled shotgun. a rifle and the Luger they hung in a gun rack in the living room. Over the top of the gun rack he hung the sword. The **** emblem was on the handle and two bright red tassles hung from the grip. It was beautiful. Eric probably gave the guns to a friend who had admired them. With 2 boys, 7 yrs. and 8yrs. and another on the way...the guns made me very uncomfortable and I think it was the same for Eric.
It's funny. I hadn't thought about those guns for years.
So, as you can see....there's no Luger for sale.
Every time I THINK about those WWII years more than anything I see darkness.
BY THE WAY in a few minutes I'll post the new series of WWII. I'm glad you asked me to do this. As happened the last time, I'm able to learn more from the overview of WWII. Up until now the only view I had at all was from the inside,

Onward and upward!

·
Registered
743 Posts
You can probably buy a second hand Luger somewhere. Personally, I'd rather have a Colt .45. Something about foreign manufactured weapons that bothers me. Don't know what it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts