2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It figures.
I have a lot of time off to fish and now I'm in dry dock! I have a bad back injury.
I had a muscle spasm in Port Mansfield almost a month ago(riding in a Shallow Sport) LOL and apparently re-injured a disc or two.

I had neurosurgery eleven years ago on this same spot. I was hoping that the muscle relaxers and anti-inflams would calm down the nerve but it hasn't.
I start physical therapy Monday, but from my past experience I'll probably go ahead and see the neurosurgeon for an MRI and consult.

THIS JUST ****** ME OFF!

Are there any 2cool chiopractors (sp)?

·
Old School 2cool
8,288 Posts
Kenny, Sorry to hear about that! I struggle with three srewed up discs daily. The medicine seems to only take the edge off. Having your physical activites limited is bad enough. The reality that I'm just not as young as I used to be is pretty darned sobering. Take care of yourself and do what the docs tell you. Cant keep a good man down forever! Guy

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
Hey Kenny...I have been right where you are today and know how miserable it can get. Did the back surgery and everything. PT hurt more than it helped! If you don't get a backracker here on the board, I have used Dr. Michael Stokes on Beamer Rd for years. You can probably find one a lot closer (he is close to Almeda Mall) but he does good work. Lives in Bayou Vista. Good luck with your back...keep popping the Ibuprofen...its the only thing that works for me when I push it to hard!

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Kenny, I'm so sorry to hear the bad news my friend. It just seems so extra cruel to me. I mean a guy like you, a REAL fisherman and a man that truly is passionate about the water, the beach and the thrill of fishing to have to suffer a thing like this. NOT FAIR!

I'm praying that you can get back into business sooner rather than later and in the meantime if there is anything I can do or if you just wanna holla at me, gimme a toot. I'm usually on the end of my phone. 281-772-6131

·
Banned
756 Posts
Alternative to cutting

Y'all might try this instead. My son-in-law has the Texas School of Massage

A registered educational facility. One in Clear Lake and one on I 10 @ Beltway8

The student must give hands on time as part of their training. The sessions
are $30/hr mon-Sat You get all the benefits of a 60/hr(?) massage for less bucks.(More money for fishing stuff)

Also if you need more attention with your back my sil is a Chriro.

Two or three sessions should loosen everything up and no pill hangovers.

The South / Main Campus is located in the Clear Lake portion of Houston at 17043 El Camino Real, Suite 201.
The West Campus is located in the Memorial Area portion of Houston at 11511 Katy Freeway, Suite 145.

James F. Wray DC, RMT, MTI - Owner, South Campus Director and Instructor
Dr. James Wray is a licensed Doctor of Chiropractic, Registered Massage Therapist, and a Massage Therapy Instructor. He graduated Valedictorian from the Texas Chiropractic College in April 1996 and has been practicing massage therapy since 1997. Dr. Wray maintains a part-time practice while serving as the Owner of the Texas School of Massage. He also serves as the Director and one of the Instructors for the South Campus. He has held faculty positions at various primary, secondary, and graduate-level institutions and has obtained advanced training in Deep Tissue Massage Techniques, Myofascial Release, and Trigger Point Therapy. Dr. Wray is also a registered Continuing Education Provider with the TDSHS.

Primary Courses of Instruction: Human Anatomy and Physiology, Swedish Massage Technique, Human Health and Hygiene, Business Practices and Ethics, Hydrotherapy, and Internship Program Administration.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,140 Posts
kenny said:
It figures.
Are there any 2cool chiopractors (sp)?
Kenny what ever you do if you have disk issues at all stay away from a Bone Cracker !!!!!!!!

They often do more damage than good..
Oh yes I've had Spinal Fusion so I can speak on the subject!!!!!

John

·
Banned
756 Posts
I need to add He is a God centered man and would probably give consideration($) to those 2cooler with special problems as far as needing recurring session(Those who are out of work because of bad backs.
I have seen many good men in my line of work become slaves to the Soma and the Vicodans. NO recriminations to anyone who needs those . I just have seen men who got hurt at work because an employer would not put in a jib crane and then make big money off their best technician only to have him pull his back and then get dominated by some pill pusher who only wanted to keep them in the system so they could bill the ins. I know those guys just wanted to get well and go back to work to support their families. I fell and broke my neck years ago and workmans comp paid 125$ a week and told me that was a prorate based on my adjusted income. I had been making 700 a week I asked what did you adjust it with a sledge hammer? Thank God I am am alright now. ( That may be debatable by some. Your mileage may vary. Do not take medications while driving. Pregnant women may want to consult their doctor.Contents may have settled during shipping.)

·
Thank You! Next
7,756 Posts
Kenny,

I understand full well , what you are going through, You are doing the right thing early! C4 and me have not been on talking terms , right after storm last year, a lil flare up here and there . Take care

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I went the Chiro route until I was taking 4 Ibuprofen every 4 hours. Finally had all the tests and had surgery on my neck and elbow. The Doc said that Chiro just covers up the problem, it may feel better but damage is still being done. I may have to put up with numbness in my hand and weakness in my arm from now on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mr. Kenny

I'm scheduled Tuesday at the med center at the nuerologist myself for an MRI.
This the second time for me,I had surgery 5 years ago. I knew it was time when my leg went numb down to the tips of my toes.Hope you feel better,SOMA and VICODIN work best at taking the edge off with an occasional dose of baby asprin.Mine went out on the way to Copano Cove I spent the first day and a half laying down out of the four day weekend we had.Anyway good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Massage doesn't do anything but help muscle spasm. You're back is spasming because there is something else going on with your spine. Unless the root of the problem is fixed, the effects of the massage will be gone in a day or two. Capt. W is a 2cool chiropractor on Nasa road 1, I'm one in Nederland. If you have any questions, shoot them through.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kenny what ever you do if you have disk issues at all stay away from a Bone Cracker !!!!!!!!

They often do more damage than good.

This is not true at all, if the chiropractor knows what he's doing. What we do cannot do more damage to a disc, if done right. I hear this myth all the time in my clinic, mostly coming from the mouths of med doctors and surgeons who know nothing about what we do. It makes me sad that uneducated word of mouth does more damage to our profession than anything any chiropractor has done.

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Sorry to hear that Kenny. the best help I think I could be to you is to keep your fishing spots warm! If you'll just send me the GPS and what locations to fish under which conditions, I'll be happy to help out! After all, isn't that what this board is all about! LOL

Seriously, hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Kenny I had the same surgery 10 years ago too, and from time to time my back acts up. I was going thru the back spasms two months ago like you are. I went to the bone cracker, started walking, bike riding and stretching exercises. I also started swimming every other day and I feel better than ever now. I'm even back to playing tennis and lifting weights again. the last thing I want to do is have surgery again. I know you don't either. Good luck to you.

·
Banned
2,823 Posts
Kenny, If you don't have any neuropathy (pain in the legs down to the toes), a good reliable chiropractor might be the way to go. If you have any pain down into the legs, at least past the knees, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Proceed to an MRI.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I had my back surgery about 8 years ago. Never was the same and always seemed to have pain in my lower back. I bought a kayak to fish from recently and my back pain/problems seem to becoming less and less. Best I can figure is I am building up my lower back muscles with all the paddling I'm doing. Also seems to be shrinking the extra growth hanging over the belt buckle. ;-)

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Bummer Kenny, sorry to hear about your back issues. That goes in the NOT FUN category. Hope you get some sort of workable solution soon.

....on second thought, the rest of us might have a chance at the fish while you are out of commission so take your time, ok?

·
Banned
829 Posts
jtburf said:

They often do more damage than good..
Oh yes I've had Spinal Fusion so I can speak on the subject!!!!!

John
I herniated L4 and L5 in 2000 at the time was in very good condition. After the injury I stooped working out and took it easy, was treated by a chiropractor for about 6 months with no improvement. The whole time he was treating me he assured me that I did not have herniated disks. I was to later find out that I had ALL of the classic symptoms. I finely got in to a go Doctor who sent me for a MRI and diagnosed the problem. Sent me to a pain Doctor in Victoria where I was living at the time. He shot me up with steroids around the disk and prescribed physical therapy witch I did not do. I quit hurting so why do that PT plus I was getting used to sitting on my duff after working out since Jr. High. So after about 3 months the back starts hurting again I go back to the pain doc and his first question is "have you been doing your exercises". So he shots me again this time I get back into the routine of working out and have had no back problems since. I am a huge believer in exercise for long term recovery from back pain. It is the only thing that has worked for me. When I am fat and out of shape my back kills me and I wonder why. Dur dur dur. The PT hurt sometimes but not as bad as not being able to walk or straighten out my leg. I am still kind of fat but with the exercise I can at lest support my gut with out hurting my self.
Scott

1 - 20 of 35 Posts