2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the wife and kids off for the summer we wanted to start off with style. We hit the beach for the next couple of days and even though it was crowded, the surf was calm and clear and the water was perfect. Monday came by too soon and I went back to work for two more days and couldn't wait to get back.

I got back down Tuesday night and we hit the beach one more time. There's nothing like burgers made fresh on the beach with the sand in your toes and a cold one to wash it all down.

With Momma and the kids satisfied it was time to fish. My buddy, just down for the day, arrived at 5:45 a.m. and we hit the water shorty there after. The morning started off slow but we managed to put a few in the box early. I tell you, these stinking dolphins are getting more aggressive every year. We were shadowed by them everywhere we went and were finally cheated out of fish as one of the guys had one take a trout off his stringer on the way back to the boat. Earlier in the week my son hooked into a small trout and as he was bringing it in a dolphin hit the fish and doubled over the rod. Thank God it finally let go and he ended up getting his rewarded for his efforts. We also saw a guy in another boat get spooled as he got hit after catching a small trout.

We were not to be detered. We moved onto another spot and it was lights out for the next couple of hours. Immediately as I was setting the anchor it was "fish on!". We piled out of the boat and started catching one after another. Mostly small trout with several nice ones to 19" mixed in the bunch. My buddy brought along a friend who hadn't fished on over ten years. Like riding a bicycle he was back in the game nailing trout on a Storm swim lure. We ended up boxing 18 trout to 19" and called it a day.

Friday was family time again and we spent time taking a boat ride and checking out potential hang outs before they decided to leave back home to S.A.

I got a call from LoboJim and he told me that he wanted to go gigging that night. Unfortunately I still had family in town and didn't want to leave them to go on an overnight trip. That's why I love this board. "Bring them along" Jim told me. I pitched the idea and they were in. Boy am I glad I let Jim talk me into bringing them along. We left the dock around 5:00 p.m. and headed to some spots close by to fish before it got dark. Major payoff! Wham...my cousin nailed a 22" red on the fly.

We moved to another spot and he was on fire. He got his Morning Glory smacked hard and as it got to the boat it was a wide bodied trout that went for one more arial display and spit the hook 10ft from the boat. Aaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!. Our resounding sigh could be heard throughout the bays and we went over what had just happened. He kept on fishing and still managed to nail a nice 22" and 19" trout several drifts later.

As dark approached we hit the water with gigs in hand. Jim and I made one pass and gigged a couple. My cousin and his daughter made it into the water and we were off on a mission. Several hours and numerous runs in the dark we ended the night with 28 flounder to 19". What a great time. My cousin's daughter was a trooper and gigged several flounder on her own enjoying all the sights and sounds of the night. Thank you again Jim...That was a night of gigging I'll never forget. Here' a pic of LoboJim trolling his way to the potholes.

Here's Sarah enjoying the fine art of top water fishing...

An Aransas Bay sunset...

Saturday we slept in late and I finally had the chance to meet up with Bob and his wife Adeline, forgive me if I spelled it wrong, for dinner. Mr. and Mrs. Knot to everyone here on the board. What a great couple. It's not hard to see why there marriage has went the distnance and hit the 25yr. mark.

Sunday we hit the water for one final run. The morning started slow but around 7:30 a.m. the action went full tilt and we started catching trout on topwaters. I lost severl heavy fish but still managed to get my hands on a couple to add to our weeks tally.

What a great time spent with friends and family. And to think, the summer is just getting started.

Attachments

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
You are one lucky dude!

Family, and friends like that...Wow! Can't get much better.

The fishing and friendship, and fish fries to come will be priceless memories.

Thanks for the details and the pics!

Enjoy.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,524 Posts
Great report, great fun. Greenie for the good read! Are you sure it wasn't sharks? I've never had a dolphin hit my line. Anyone else? - Coach

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh...it was a stinking dolphin for sure...

The day before along the same spot my sister-in-law had a dolphin follow her fish right up to the boat. With mouth wide open the critter pulled out at the last moment. I guess it got closer to the boat than expected.

I was informed however that people were catching 6'+ bull sharks not far from where we were wading. Scary thought...:eek:h:

·
Unrecoverable Saltoholic
472 Posts
Did you buy Aubrey's boat? That top looks brand new, like it's never been used! LOL.

Great report James, glad to see you getting out and wetting a line with the family.

Tsip

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yeah

Now that's a fishin' report. Not to mention the good times had with family and friends. Congrats!!!!

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Awesome..... Luv the lid on the skid....lmao

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's amazing what someone will do for love...

I hate having that thing on the boat. It's supposed to be a lean, mean, fishing machine.

Todd, you've been on my mind lately. We need to get together and hit the bays soon. Give me a call when you will be going down there again.

·
Unrecoverable Saltoholic
472 Posts
Let's get-r-done. I think I still have your cell #, I'll give you a call this week.

Tsip

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
greenie sent your way for an awesome post!!!

My wife insisted on the bimini, the stereo and some padded rod boxes!! Dont tell her but I actually enjoy all 3 of them. SHHHHH! LOL!!!!

Now for the good stuff where in the bay were you having your luck???? I missed that part. LOL!!!!

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We bounced around to find fish but the majority of the...

trout came off of Traylor Island. The key is to fish deep water. We were fishing in chest deep water throwing into deeper water. Many of the people out there including the live bait guys weren't doing as well. We would just wade behind them and continue catching fish. We actually left them biting around 12:30 p.m. and searched for some reds.

Our bigger fish came off of the St. Joe shoreline. Again wading into stomach to chest deep water. You have to be patient. There's a lot of people out there and it was very crowded to say the least.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice report

Nice trip and alot of fish. Sounds like you all had a good time. I'm glad you bought Aubreys boat. I think it will bring you good luck. It was good to meet you when you picked up your new boat. Have you thought of another name or are you going to keep it the same ?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Great report James. You were blessed with some of the best conditions we've had all year. The wind was light and the water was green. The trout bite over the weekend was strong to say the least. Adeline and I enjoyed meeting you, Adam and sarah over dinner,look forward to doing it again soon. AHHH yes the summer has just started.
Tight Knot

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Changing the name of the boat...

I've been giving a lot of thought and I've decided to keep the name. Capt. Billy Sandifer (A legend on PINS to say the least) was the original owner of the boat who then sold it to Capt. Aubrey Black (beloved and future hall of famer to many of us on the board). That's one bloodline that I don't want to sever anytime soon.

The fishing gods seem to agree as we have been blessed everytime I put it in the water.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts