2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a shrimp boat hale me over to him yesterday and he wanted to trade for some beer. Which is a good thing, but what he wanted to trade was bad! He wanted me to give him cold brewski's for CULL! He had a funny look on his face when I told him I didn't want to trade for cull, but he knew how to make me release those precious COLD cans!

I don't know which one of you started this.....but stop!

Back in the good ole' days they would happily give you all the cull you wanted for free. Then you could trade for the treasures of the sea...shrimp.

One more thing you don't have to give them a whole case for a few pounds of shrimp either.......come-on guys don't make it so hard on the rest of us!

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Well come on and spell it out for us dummies. What should I get for a 12-pack of brewskis?? A couple of buckets of cull and a few pounds of shrimp??

·
Registered
949 Posts
One time we traded 5 or 6 longnecks for 24lbs of some very nice shrimp. I would never trade anything for cull. Sorry.

12 pack should get you atleast 10lbs of shrimp.

Get Wild

Eric

·
Registered
494 Posts
I Agree that they are getting too much.

I traded 750 ml Jack Daniels for one full 5 gal bucket of nice shrimp with heads on Saturday. Was about 21 lbs after heading. They also gave me a bucket of cull when I asked. Made me sick to see all the 3-4" flounder and red snapper in the bucket.

The bay boat that roared up just as I was showing them my trade got less than half a bucket for an 18 pack of some canned beer.

The boat did say that they preferred Bud in the can. Wasn't going to give them my Shiner's.

SSNJOHN

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I got 30 lbs yesterday for 4 snapper jigs the guy wanted so he could catch the big dolphin swimming around his boat. Unfortunately I also caught his dolphin, he-he.

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they come beggin you should be able to come out pretty good. I got 12lbs for 8 cold ones (mixed brands that had bounced around in the boat all last year).

So see you don't have to give away the farm to come home with the prize!

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Well this has been enlightening. I've never tried to barter with the shrimpers cuz I don't want to part with my beer. Hmmm, good excuse to carry more beer. A gallon ziplock weighs 2 pounds...+/- a pound???

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Yeah, last year we got an onion sack full of 8-10count shrimp for an 18pack of lonestar,
2weekends ago we got a freezer ziplock full for Bud. go figure. I guess they are getting greedy or as Captn C says we are being too free with the Alcohol.

Hey Capn C. How is the BAss Pro saga? Are they going to make it right????? I sure hope so. That whole situation sounds completely crazy.
Adios,
Bret

WE will be in the Baker area Friday on the Hard licker. Holler if any of you guys are out there.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
LOL I used to carry two cases of Coors Light under my console. One for the shrimpers if needed and one for the X Director if I ever ran into him out on the water. Wouldn't want him to be thirsty. But I NEVER traded for cull. They'd give me loads of it for free.

I know its getting bad when Capt C is talking about beer!

Bigwater

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Big! Long time no see.

The boat saga............BOATS SUCK.....in a couple word.

I know I keep saying this, BUT I think I am making some progress in the right direction. I just finished having the boat surveyed, and estimate on what it would cost to start, not do, but start doing the necessary repairs.

I'm about two weeks from really knowing something solid about where this is going.

OH- I'm with Eric...about 10lbs.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Hey Capt C I've been busy as a cat in a litter box latley and I need to get by there and see you. Hope the boat gets staightened out quick. You sure are exercising patience. I don't know if i would have approached it like that.

Bigwater

·
Registered
326 Posts
A gallon of water weighs around eight pounds, so I figure the shrimp must weigh less than 7 lbs. The shrimper that I traded with on Saturday gave me two 1 gallon ziplock bags for a 12 pack and I think he said they weighed about six pound each. He was speaking coonazz so it was kinda hard to understand what he was saying.

·
Old ******
4,527 Posts
Last summer we managed to get 16 lbs. of jumbo headless shrimp for 6 cans of Dos Equis. Those rascals were very surprised to see Mexican beer. I think one problem regarding the cull is that Sportfishing Magazine did an article recently where they advised fishermen to trade their beer for cull as a way to get fresh bait. Obviously someone in the shrimp fleet reads that rag.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Shrimp Shrimp and More Shrimp

One boat gave us about 15lbs of headed for a 12 pack and the other gave us 50lbs of captains choice de-headed for a 12 pack. Damm they are good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One thing to watch for, water in that ziploc bag. Makes no sense to trade cold cerveza for a water-filled ziploc half full of shrimp. If they balk at your mention of the extraneous fluid in that there ziploc, put said cold beer outta sight and mention that the dockside folks X miles away at port might be more inclined to purchase water-logged shrimp. You could be downright mean and slurp a cold one down right there in front of them as a gentle prodding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts