2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not much at designing my own stuff, so I'm looking for some plans to build a pedestal base for a deer mount. Looking to make it out of old barn wood.

Anybody got any plans they could share our point me in the right direction to find some?

Looking for something like this....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I would attack that by making 8 identical panels same width and lengths. Then ripping a 22.5 degree angle the length of each panel. Then cut your bottom molding, the top moldings. Add in supports voila

·
Registered
569 Posts
Maybe build a core out of light framing lumber then wrap it with the barn wood to keep from handling the barn wood too much and damage the Patina. By the time you get the core perfect, you will be better prepared to handle the cuts and joints on the show lumber.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe build a core out of light framing lumber then wrap it with the barn wood to keep from handling the barn wood too much and damage the Patina. By the time you get the core perfect, you will be better prepared to handle the cuts and joints on the show lumber.
Great Idea and that was gonna be my plan. Build the frame first so I can get the angles and cuts figured out. Then wrap it. I haven't started yet, still trying to source some good looking barn wood for cheap. Trying to do this on a razor thin budget..... :smile:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To update this thread.... I ended up doing something slightly different. Went with a square pedestal base instead of the octogon style. Found a couple old barnwood style tongue & groove gates @ Warrenton Antique Show and used those to build the pedestal base. I even incorporated the old hinges and latches into it. I think it turned out pretty good. I de-constructed the gates into 4 sides, then used some left over T&G individual boards to do the trim at the top. What do y'all think of it?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just left the 2 hinges on the gate as they were..... and on the latch I CAREFULLY removed them from the other gate and drilled out some holes in the panel and re-installed them. Decided not to trim out the bottom due to the placement of the hinges. The gates were taller than I needed. Cut off top & bottom portion that was slightly rotted to get to good wood and also to make the base the height I wanted. Sub-framing is 2x6 lumber that I ripped in half. 2 layers of 3/4" plywood on the top (per instruction from my taxidermist) screwed to the subframing.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. That came out 2cool! Thanks so much for updating and now waiting on the final picture!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You hit the nail on the head. That came out 2cool! Thanks so much for updating and now waiting on the final picture!!
LOL, that may be a while. I have a great taxidermy guy but he is not the quickest......
But I will update with a final photo when I get it back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts