2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old rod that has wood parts that were painted. I have stripped all the paint off and I was impressed with the wood grain pattern, so I sanded it down smooth and put on a very cool stain. I have now placed on two coats of poly and was wondering how many coats should I use?
I also noticed that the threads have no coating (flex coat) so I plan to rewrap them all and match the wood pattern. This rod is unknown in years, I got it from my grandfather and have no idea where or when he got it. I know I have had it for at least 6 years. I just love finding so old treasure in my closets...LOL This rod when finished will definately see some saltwater action. It's white and at least 8' and the double foot guides had no corrosion after cleaning them up, I used a dremal with a plastic brush and they shine like new.
Why would someone paint something so nice?

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will post up some

I need to clean up a few things, I have computers and parts all over the place right now.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It had several thick coats

of paint on there, and took a little while to get all removed and clean. I don't get any points for cleaning the table and work area, I made the mess.. almost everyday with different systems...

·
Registered
265 Posts
i fixed up a couple of old rods i had laying around couple months ago also...they also had wood handles.. i did the same thing u did by taking the paint off and staining the wood... but instead of polyurathane.... i used a thin coat of epoxy... it really makes the wood look alot better than poly... almost like a laquer look to it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts