2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We spent Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with my dad up in Waco, well, he actually lives in Woodway which is right next door. We haven't been up there for some time because he always preferred to come down here to visit us. Now that his driving is restricted to his immediate vicinity and daylight hours we are going to start going up there several times a year. I haven't been in that house for about 5 or 6 years and I was absolutely NOT prepared for the emotional homecoming which awaited me. As I walked into the living room the first thing my eyes fell upon was a grouping of 3 8X10 photos which I had never seen before and one of them was absolutely the best photograph I have ever seen of my mother. The pic of her, and the one of my dad were taken in '43. A year after they were married and a year before I was born. That pic of my mother put a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. She passed away 10 years ago, March, and I think of her often, remembering the many valuable lessons she tried to teach me and the untold number of memories of her love, tenderness, and dedication to her family. I still miss her voice, her loving touch and her bright smile.

The pic of me and Mom was taken about '46 or 47.

At one point she wanted to take up crocheting but was having some trouble with some of the stitches and Dad jumped in and tried to help her sort it out. It turned out that she lost interest in it and he got hooked. He did this flag a few years ago and it is the best thing, IMHO that he ever did.

I had completely forgotten about the dining room set. I used to build a little furniture and my "style" was "Rustic Ranch" That "style" was force upon me because of the lack of precission power tools. I had only a borrowed table saw and hand held router, drill motor, Belt sander, finishing sander, set of bar clamps and a set of C clamps and sabre saw. I think this was the last project I ever did and I know it was the last dining room set I ever made. Being in this house again and seeing everything was a very emotional charge for me. We had a very special visit and I already can't wait to go back and see him again.

Attachments

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All around the place

#1 is a fruitless mulberry tree that grows in his back yard. This tree is magnificent! It probides cool shade and when the wind moves through its leaves it makes a very soothing sound.

#2 Is a live oak that grows in his front yard. We have speculated for many years on just how old this tree might be. We have no real way of knowing but we believe that is somewhere between 80 and 100 years old. This is my favorite tree on Earth and I have spend many a happy moment in it's shade.

#3 is a view of this same live oak tree from the house.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Darn Son, You Got Me Choked-Up Now....

Whew. I know where Woodway is. Looks like the same neighborhood I grew up in San Antonio. Looks just like it. Anyway, Good Post. CF?

·
Big Overgrown Galoot
1,061 Posts
That is a quinessential WWII mom .What a gereration.....can you imagine liven in the Great Depression as a child and then a world war in your 20's.

We're loosin more than 1,000 of these folks a day. They sure gave us baby-boomers growin up in the 50's a darn good life. I hate to think of what a world without any of em around anymore is gonna be like.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HWY 7: the flora....

We went up I-45 to HWY 7, at Centerville and ran the 54 miles over to Marlin, on HWY 6 and were treated to many lovely sights.

Here are a few shots of the stubborn spring flowers that seemed determined to hang on as long as possible.

Attachments

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HWY 7: the fauna.....

We really enjoyed the trip, especially the 54 miles on HWY 7. Not only were the flowers gorgeous but the critters were very pleasant to see. That big black bull gave me a serious looking warnig look and the long-horn gave me a moment of serious eye contact, a lowered head, and a stomp with his right front hoof. I didn't have the camera up so I missed that shot. I did decide to take his warning seriously and move on along on my photographic journey.

Attachments

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HWY 7: one old house

After you turn west onto HWY 7 the first town you come to is Kosse and right before you get into town there is this old house in the south side of the road. The last time we came this way some one had begun restoration work on it. Evidently something caused the work to cease and now it appears this great looking old house will fall hoplessly and forever into a state of ruin. Too bad, it could be made great again if the right person got hold of it and had the time and resources to put into it.

The next town up the road is Marquez (Mar-kay) Most of the roadside flowers were in the area between I-45 and Marquez but the entire stretch of hwy was very refreshing country and a real treat for the eyes.

Attachments

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
i sure did enjoy your post jack, and so happy that your dad is doing well! i have to say though, im kinda glad you didnt get that shot of the bull. i grew up on a farm betwee levelland and whiteface (bet no one knows where that is LOL) i remember my granddaddy telling me over and over to leave that BIG black bull alone. that bull finally had his fill of me teasing him and, after that same look you talked about, chased me right into an electric fence :eek: for years and years i had nightmares about that bull! guess i deserved that huh? dont wanna look no more big black bulls eye to eye!

trudy

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trudy! I LOVE that annimation in your signature. I'd call it "Pot-lickers, beware!" LOL! That's about the best one a' them thangs I've seen! :D

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
thanks jack, bill was helping me try to get one on there and just when i got it up last week we went down. jan helped me get it back. im not at hope so i didnt have it on this computer. gotta get my little allicat back when i get back to alvin!

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Allicat be glad the fence was there 'cause there sure ain't no trees to climb out there
in west Texas!!

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
birdnester, you nailed it, my man. WWII ... what an era, what great men and women, what a country we have. I can never look back at the old pics of Mom and Dad now without a tear coming to the eye ... not only for them, but just for an era of patriotism and 'innocence'. Oops, I wax non-poetic. ;)

Jack --- glad you're back and that your dad's doing well. Great pics, as always.

Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts