2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the going price for removing wisdom teeth these days? My wife is having 3 wisdom teeth removed and the oral surgeon wants to charge over 1900.00 for it.

Is he overcharging or is this the going price?

Can anyone recommend a good oral surgeon as well?

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
That sounds about the right price

Dr. Mark Holcomb (281-338-7700) is IMHO the best in this area. I have had him remove and do work on me. Hands down the best I have ever had. He is located on Hwy 3 in Webster.
Talking from experience, she must have someone with her. There is no way you can drive after you wake up. But it is also the only way to go in my book, sit down, get a little shot and you wake up and everything is done and you do not remember anything. If and when I have any other work done, Dr. Holcomb is the only one getting my call. Also a good thing is if she is nervous, ( I am, and I'm not afraid to say, I am the biggest coward when it comes to dentist, yes, I have jumped out of planes, climbed down cliffs, lived in the desert with scorpions and snakes and done many other things with out thinking twice, but mention going to the dentist and I will run away like a school girl) he will give you something to calm the nerves.

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
bill said:
Dr. Mark Holcomb (281-338-7700) is IMHO the best in this area. I have had him remove and do work on me. Hands down the best I have ever had. He is located on Hwy 3 in Webster.
Talking from experience, she must have someone with her. There is no way you can drive after you wake up. But it is also the only way to go in my book, sit down, get a little shot and you wake up and everything is done and you do not remember anything. If and when I have any other work done, Dr. Holcomb is the only one getting my call. Also a good thing is if she is nervous, ( I am, and I'm not afraid to say, I am the biggest coward when it comes to dentist, yes, I have jumped out of planes, climbed down cliffs, lived in the desert with scorpions and snakes and done many other things with out thinking twice, but mention going to the dentist and I will run away like a school girl) he will give you something to calm the nerves.
:rotfl: You too?

·
Back in da Saddle
10,153 Posts
Your talking about sugery not extraction ... yes that look's about normal for that service
keep in mind he has an anostieseoligist (sp) doing the put to sleep part!...

John

·
Registered
352 Posts
Holcomb is the bomb

Best in town..............Sit down, get the shot wake up and its done...Sweeet. Call Dr. Holcomb he did all mine

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I am genetically perfect. I dont have wisdom teeth. My wife had hers removed in Mexico. It cost like $150 for all 4 and she was fine within a couple of days. You can say we have a death wish. Actually getting dental work done in mexico is not bad at all. Just do a little more research than the "let the fingers do the walking" across the yellow pages type of research that we do for US Dentist/oromaxiofacial/orthodontists. We have had alot of work done down there and have had 0 problems. She currently has braces on and they will end up with a final cost of $1500 which is about $3-3500 less than anyone would do them here for.

·
Registered
346 Posts
tgodiver, where are you located? I would absolutely not advise getting wisdom teeth extracted in Mexico, the postop complications that can arise can be very serious if proper technique and sterilization isnt followed. At least in the U.S. you know that dental offices must adhere to strict guidelines. Braces are much different, there are not any life threatening complications that can come from orthodontic (braces) treatment.

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
I went to a Medication testing place in Austin. They PAID me $450 dollars to take my wisdom teeth out. You have to pass about 3-4 tests before they do the work. Drug, blood, etc. They have 3-4 doctors. But it's not surgery. They nummed me, put some ear phones one, dimmed the lights. The doctor came in a few minutes later, took the teeth out. They gave me some medicine to kill the pain, there were nurses to wait on you hand a foot. You have to fill out questions every hour for like 4-6 hours. I stayed over night in a comfortable chair sleeping and watching movies. I enjoyed the experience. Ofcourse that first hour after the teeth were pulled I was in misery. After the medicine kicked in...awww

If you have the money I'd do the surgery.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
wow, we got a new member on that post. lol :) spec, you would be suprised at some of the clinics down there and the top notch technology they have in both sterilization and surgical ends of it. I have been in the surgery bus for about 8 years and know what to look for when I walk in a clinic. I have known more ppl to have problems in the US than I have known them to have in mexico. There are horror stories everywhere though and I dont advocate you doing anything you are not comfortable with. I know 3 ppl personally that have had multiple extractions in mex

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Give him a call

I don't want to quote a price (and then be wrong) they can pretty much tell you over the phone the expected price. They do all the insurance thing and even credit card if it comes to it. I know this, you can get get teeth pulled from a "normal" dentist for about 50.00 a yank, and you will feel everything and be wide awake with him/her pulling open your mouth and having to listen to all the pops ect, and if there is any problems..more than likely the dentist will send you to Dr. Holcomb for help. (that is if your in this area) I had to use Dr. Holcomb because my roots were so deep a regular dentist could not do the job (after my first visit I was hooked and a total believer). I have had my share of dentist, here in private practice and in the military (one of the reasons why my teeth are in the condition they are in now, to keep me in deploy status, they would drill and patch like they were some pot hole city workers). Call around to a few dentist and get their thoughts, see how many recommend Dr. Holcomb for difficult extractions.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
I used Holcomb to take two out that neede it. Knot wisdoms. With insurance 800.00. five years ago. When they took me out of there I was on Cloud Nine. Best feeling I ever had in my whole life!LOL

Bigwater

·
Registered
346 Posts
lol been lurking for years here. Thought maybe I could be helpful here.

I can say I've never visited a clinic in Mexico, I form my opinion from having done my training in San Antonio and seeing alot of patients that had visited Mexico for there treatment and the quality of work they received when I look at their xrays and perform exams on them.

As far as the price for the extractions it can vary alot. Based on whether the tooth is fully or partially impacted or fully erupted, whether an anesthesiologist is brought in for the surgery (some do some don't), the amount of time the patient is under anesthesia, and finally general cost of doing business (general overhead of an office).

I do know that when we have referred to Houston that the sedation fee you quoted was similar to what we were quoted. Location plays a big factor in the cost also, where I practice the sedation fee is typically a little bit lower but I dont think it's significantly lower.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
The great thing is, I have dental insurance and have never used it. Are you a dentist? What is your pratice? You see kids? My kids need to see a dentist soon. I use my medical insurance but not on myself cause I get any service I want for free. I do use it for the pediatrician though.

·
Kamikaze
4,591 Posts
I got some 300 lb Power Pro and a 100 lb block of concrete. Charge ya two bottles of Crown Royal. One for you pre drop, and one for me post drop. Better than Mexico! Deal???

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah I'm a dentist I practice in West Columbia, TX south of Houston about 45 miles. Yeah I see the good kids LOL, no screamers. I know a few dentists in San Antonio if you need one let me know what side of town you are on and I'll see if I can get some names.

·
Registered
346 Posts
contacted a few people in San Antonio and couldnt find a provider that I knew, most of the providers looked like they worked for clinics like Lee, Monarch, Castle, etc...sorry.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts