2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a few videos of people fishing in cold weather, using purple chartreuse-type gulps or soft lures. Then I remembered,

many years ago I was fishing with a friend who was using a bingo purple lure, in a deep boat harbor. He caught all the trout and I did not have a single bite. I used all the colors I had, but I did not have purple. I still remember that day.

He said, that purple was his go-to color in cold weather.

What has been your experience in cold weather lure choice?

· Registered
333 Posts
Water color and the bottom color decide your lure color. Don't get to caught up in every color under the rainbow, get some darks, lights and shiny ones. When they're eating it doesn't make a lot of difference. Profile and size is more important to me than color. Usually I'm throwing a black and white paddle tail or a clear w/silver glitter and a chartreuse tail. Make sure your on fish then worry about the color. I hope this helps.

· Registered
5,600 Posts
pick44 color is a personal preference not a fish preference. the fish for the most part don't care, it's what you have confidence in that matters. pretty custom colors are for fishermen who like shiny pretty lures. I'm using drab outdated ugly corkies(Bought from Paul's house, the ones the other guys didn't want, rejects), they work just like the others. fish are instinct feeders, park it in front of them and they may/may-not eat it, try to take it from them and chances are they will pounce on it. everyone including fish want what they can't have, but don't always want what they can have. think outside the box.

· Registered
5,600 Posts
Color doesn’t matter as long as it’s chartreuse.
when i'm throwing tops and corkies i tend to throw orange 99% of the time, when I throw tails i throw chartreuse 99% of the time. purely out of habit and absolutely no other reason. although i've noticed more eats versus blows on orange skitterwalks, versus other colors. could be coincidence but it's my favorite color. The Ricky Fowler special. down south chartreuse or glow are my favorite tails long shank screw on bass assassin jig heads, again purely habit. i do a lot of winter deep finesse fishing for pigs. fifteen feet of water with a 1/8oz jig head, slow rolling on the bottom.

· Registered
3,520 Posts
What I tend to have in my winter wade box are Plum, Pink, White/Bone/Pearl, and in Matagorda Bay if the water is not pretty, Red Shad & Morning Glory have been killer since I can remember. But Kevin Nicholls said it best; depends on conditions.

· Registered
5 Posts
Upper Texas coast where the water never seems to be good clarity - morning glory / chart out performs anything for me. Plum / chart is a preference otherwise works in every single condition but bad water I swap to morning glory/chart. You can try full chartreuse or chart glitter, every condition and never a bad choice. If for some reason you're really lucky and the water looks good - nothing beats chicken on a chain for clear water. I usually throw corkies this time of year so for me it's chart/pearl go-to and good in better water quality. Bad water quality morning glory / chart. Pink is a staple and is good in any water quality. I just throw 3 or 4 colors that I have a lot of confidence in and has worked for everyone. Keep it simple stupid. Most of the time the fish don't care, but like you said that are rare occasions 5% or less of the time where they do. I don't worry about that, but keep a mental note of the spot, time of year etc.

· Registered
333 Posts
I was on some reds this past weekend and tried a couple things. I was throwing black lures at reds on the grass lines and they weren't very interested in them. I made the switch to a light colored lure of the same profile and they would turn and whack it. The water was pretty clear and the bottom was a sandy brown, it was very similar to the lure color. To me, bottom color is very important. Next time your on the fish take a few minutes to try something else, a different size, profile or color. It will help you figure them out in the future. I hope this helps.

· Who said that was spicy?
2,125 Posts
Color is a visibility factor. Within a given situation, the wrong color screams fake. If they ignore the lure and/or flee, you're guaranteed not to get that bite.

You can be a master at working the lure, but reaction bites rely on proximity and they're not likely to hit your lure if they've already fled the scene or made zero attempt to chase it because it looks fake.

I agree that learning how to find fish is the primary focus. This conversation about colors is only relevant when fish are present. ;)

· Catch a New Personal Best- Learn How!
13,136 Posts
Water color and the bottom color decide your lure color. Don't get to caught up in every color under the rainbow, get some darks, lights and shiny ones. When they're eating it doesn't make a lot of difference. Profile and size is more important to me than color. Usually I'm throwing a black and white paddle tail or a clear w/silver glitter and a chartreuse tail. Make sure your on fish then worry about the color. I hope this helps.
This^

· Catch a New Personal Best- Learn How!
13,136 Posts
pick44 color is a personal preference not a fish preference. the fish for the most part don't care, it's what you have confidence in that matters. pretty custom colors are for fishermen who like shiny pretty lures. I'm using drab outdated ugly corkies(Bought from Paul's house, the ones the other guys didn't want, rejects), they work just like the others. fish are instinct feeders, park it in front of them and they may/may-not eat it, try to take it from them and chances are they will pounce on it. everyone including fish want what they can't have, but don't always want what they can have. think outside the box.
And This ^

1 - 20 of 25 Posts