2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For year I have heard of guys fishing the rivers for big specs. I have never had any luck doing this. Maybe I just ain't doing it right? Can somebody enlighten me? How do you locate the fish then how do you get them to bite? Now I live down in the Pt Arthur area around the Neches and Sabine rivers.

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,826 Posts
Fish the ledges where it drops from 3-4foot banks to 20+.

Look for any bait you can or if your lucky a trout slick an occasional tern or even seagulls sitting on the water off the drop. Look for other birds like herons on the shoreline but they won't be as reliable as terns. But at least you know there is something to key on.

I personally would just go striper fishing in sabine r.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Clean all of your reels. Take them apart, grease and oil and clean everything to perfection. Wipe off all your rods, change any bad eyes. Put new line on your reels. Learn to cook fish and crabs. Hopefully, by that time, the weather will be above 65 F and time to go fishing.
I have been MANY times with folks that swear they catch lots of fish in the winter. All I ever caught was cold body and freezing fingers.
Winter is for all of the above (and not fishing).
Have fun and stay warm.
Those who like it cold should move north.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Clean all of your reels. Take them apart, grease and oil and clean everything to perfection. Wipe off all your rods, change any bad eyes. Put new line on your reels. Learn to cook fish and crabs. Hopefully, by that time, the weather will be above 65 F and time to go fishing.
I have been MANY times with folks that swear they catch lots of fish in the winter. All I ever caught was cold body and freezing fingers.
Have fun and stay warm.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!

·
Banned
483 Posts
Winter fishing

well all the pussys/cats,delete cats
can do all that ****,of course had to do some work on my reel from last night when a large red or speck challenged my intermediate priced reel, and patch the hole in my waders from the mile wade back in the dark
fish are there for the determined,for the others ,sit on the couch and watch a fishing video

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
He's right, ya gotta be hard core, try wadefishing and it's twice as cold. Hopefully if your river fishing you have a depth finder, if ya do look for scores of bait. Throw a buoy marker in that area and drift the hell out of it using a 3/8 or 1/2 oz jighead to get the plastic down and as fast as possible. I used to do lots of river fishing in the Colorado out of Matagorda, but I got tired of the boat parades years ago, but that's how I used to do it. Good Luck
Have fun and stay warm.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
well all the pussys/cats,delete cats
can do all that ****,of course had to do some work on my reel from last night when a large red or speck challenged my intermediate priced reel, and patch the hole in my waders from the mile wade back in the dark
fish are there for the determined,for the others ,sit on the couch and watch a fishing video
Man you really sound HARDCORE, I could only wish to be as determined as you...hahahaha

·
Banned
26,286 Posts
Winter trout fishing is a myth...don't be a sucker

Fishing really sucks in the Winter. You should stay home & save $ for gas & croaker next summer. The stories you hear about Winter Monsters are a facade dreamed up by guides needing to make their boat payment. Don't be a sucker. Stay home. Try to kiss up to your wife for fishing so much last summer. Paint the bathroom. It's going to rain tomorrow & besides, your waders leak anyway. Read a book. Take a cruise. I hear the weather is nice in Cozumel. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
491 Posts
river fish

I used to do a lot of channel fishing at night in the winter. Stand out there in the freezing cold for 3-4 hrs, just to catch 2 fish that seem to be lost. they usually were'nt monsters neither. You don't want to put yourself through all that. Leave that for the psycho fishermen.

·
If you aint first your last!
47 Posts
Fish the ledges where it drops from 3-4foot banks to 20+.

Look for any bait you can or if your lucky a trout slick an occasional tern or even seagulls sitting on the water off the drop. Look for other birds like herons on the shoreline but they won't be as reliable as terns. But at least you know there is something to key on.

I personally would just go striper fishing in sabine r.
I have to agree with this post Trout are still here in the winter and usually they are good sized the best time is pre front if the wind cooperates

·
ok, so gulp isn't that bad
1,199 Posts
all of the big trout die due to the cold... then magically come back to life around june. the stories you are hearing are nothing but old wive's tales. stay home and drink some whiskey.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I like winter fishing too. Letsgofishin, use darker colored plastics and work them down the slope of the river bank. Very slow, like you are fishing for flounder. You'll pick up the big 3 fishing like this. You won't catch a lot of fish in the winter, but usually you'll get some nice size fish. Slooooow !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts