2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Borders, language, culture
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the real reason they are "windswept"? I've always thought I knew why and it ain't got nothing to do with how hard the wind blows. What do you think?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't think the force of the wind hitting these trees makes them 'windswept', but the continuous push of the wind sure does. These trees are constantly being pushed one way, and so end up just going with the flow and growing that way.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Another Little Known Rockport Treasure.....

one might want to see is the windmill lodged in the top of an Oak that wound up there (as the story goes) from a hurricane back in the 1920's. It's located in a tree in the front yard of a house one street directly behind the Fulton Mansion.

The large branches have forever wrapped and wound around the wooden fan frame and blades making it a permanent part of the tree. It's unbelievable to look at and imagine how it got there. Some say it flew all the way across Aransas Bay from St. Joe Island. Check it out next time in my favorite town in the world. ComeFrom?

·
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard it is more from the salt falling out on the windward side of the tree and stunting growth on that side, than anything to do with the wind.

·
The Duck of Death
2,247 Posts
I live right on the Trinty bay and the incessent S.by SE wind has bent all of my tree's on the bay side
The Hackberry tree I have is actually twisted around in a clockwise fashion .

·
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I found a site that talks about it. I'm right, y'all are wrong :D Well y'all were partly correct.

"Trees closest to the ocean are subject to onshore winds carrying sand and salt spray, which acts not only to prune terminal buds in the canopy top, but also encourages growth of lateral buds, producing over time, the familiar windswept shape of maritime forest canopies."

http://www.sms.si.edu/IRLSpec/Hammock_Habitat.htm

·
The Duck of Death
2,247 Posts
Well I'll be - Learn something new every day. When I figure out how to post picture's I'll take one of the Hackberry tree . Its made like a 3/4 turn so far . Looks perty cool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts