2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a window A/C unit, approx. 10,000 BTU, for my mom who lives in San Antonio. Can someone reccommend a specific brand over the others or brands I should avoid? I don't know the difference between Fridgidare, GE, Kenmore, LG, etc... Is one brand better than the others? I want something that will work well and be longterm reliable. Opinions???? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MC, from that link it seems as though Kenmore makes a pretty good unit for the dollar. I was hoping for personal experiences and opinions of one brand vs. another as well. Which ones to buy and which to avoid.

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
I have 2 fridgidares from Lowes in my hurricene kit & they work great. 12k BTU & 6.5K BTU if I remember correctly. Both 110V. Hard to go wrong as they were cheap & cool well. I put the 12.5 back in my bedroom window this summer to really chill things down at night while saving energy. Price was about 125 for the 6.5K & about 250 for the 12.5K.

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
5,311 Posts
I have 2 Fridgidares from the hurricane. I put one in my master bedroom and still have it there to this day to save on the electric bill. It works great, i have no complaints about them. I work shift work and use it when im working nights. They are the small 10k BTU units. When we lost power, I put them in my living room. The cooled the house at night. We shut all the bedroom doors and they kept our house cool.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Friedrich untis are catered to taking out more of the humidity for the coastal regions, but not sure you have that issue where your at.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind square foot = BTU, so how big a room are you cooling?
I'm not sure on the exact dimensions of moms bedroom but I know it's less than 400 square ft.. She's got a very old Frederick in the window now but it's finally died after about 40 yrs. of use.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Just make sure you get the right size. bigger isnt better with window units. i had a BIG one in my room and it woulnt cool it. droped down to a 8k and it freezes in there if i forget to turn up the temp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts