2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
dedicated fire poker
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long time now I've wanted a windmill to keep my small pond full. Anyone have any idea of who I'd call and how much such a project might cost?

I've always been a do-it-yourself'er. Is this something I could do on my own by renting equipment. I know a regular water well in 5-8K in my area.

·
5,908 Posts
Several years ago i was pricing them and it was cheaper to drop an electric pump in the hole then stick a windmill over it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've priced them, they run around 4-5k last I looked. I had to just seach online cause I couldn't find anywhere that has them. I've got a pond and an acre I'd like it water when we have droughts and thought a windmill would be great. I'm only headed down 90' so I don't have a ton of headpressure I need. If you find out something let me know. I know they have windmills now that are generators, which in turn power a pump down in the well. this allows you to place the windmill on top of hills and such where a well would be less then desireable.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Just saw this relatively old post. A rancher told me the other day he just paid 6K to have a windmill put up, and that didn't include the well. They are $$$expensive, and not easy to maintain. You need a 30 ft tower and at least a 6 ft fan.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Texas country reporter did a piece on a windmill manufacturer in San Angelo. You might check their website to see if the story is still there. I believe the brand name is Aerator.

www.texascountryreporter.com

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
cheap well

I had a well dug and sub. pump put in for my lake for $1,850 but they only went down 45 feet (hit water at 15 feet) it produces about 10-12 gallons a minute and the water is good for the lake and yard. Water is actully better than a deep well. This guy in Lake Jackson does it on his days off. Don't let these deep well diggers charge you for going down 200-300ft, you don't need a well that deep if your not going to drink the water.

Wes

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Only produces 10-12 gallons per minute? I hope you mean it only pumps 10-12 because a 4" well that is only 45 feet could easily do 100 gpm.

BTW-you don't need to go deep for irrigation. You only need water that is wet. Most irrigation wells are in the 100' range. 100' well with a 20ish foot water level and a 3-5 HP pump can do a lot of water, depending upon the pump curve you choose. The less impellers, the less pressure it will pump but the more water.

bluefisher said:
I had a well dug and sub. pump put in for my lake for $1,850 but they only went down 45 feet (hit water at 15 feet) it produces about 10-12 gallons a minute and the water is good for the lake and yard. Water is actully better than a deep well. This guy in Lake Jackson does it on his days off. Don't let these deep well diggers charge you for going down 200-300ft, you don't need a well that deep if your not going to drink the water.

Wes

·
Hullabaloo!
686 Posts
Maintenance

My uncle's a rancher in DeWitt County and I've helped on the mainenance a few times. Not sure how often, but the main re-occurring maintenance is chaning out the 'leathers'. One or preferrably two men hoist themself to the top with some chain to hold the pipes and a good block and tackle. All the well pipes are pulled to the top, unscrewing them as they come out, until you reach the pump at the bottom. The leathers are the pieces that create the suction making the water rise with each turn of the windmill. They wear out over time.

They sure are pretty to have. I'm in the middle of A-town here and the landscape designers around the corner decided one went with the decor over here. I and a sweet country gal tried to practice changin' the leathers on it late one Friday night but found out it was just for decoration! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts