2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has ever gotten their beach vehicle stuck enough to need one. I've never personally gotten myself stuck that bad but I have seen a few who did.. Thinking about buying one just for the heck of it.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
They are pretty slick - if you have the money, go ahead. If your on the frugal side, like myself, a high jack and a 2x4 will get you off the beach, and can be used off the beach at the deer lease as well.

Most importantly - have a good tow rope (or chain). That way if the next guy down the beach doesn't have one when your stuck, you can use your own.

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
old 4-wheeling tricks...........

carry a shovel and bury your spare to anchor to

carry a big sledge hammer and 2 big truck axles pointed on the ends by a cutting torch........ drive'm both in line, wrap the first one, anchor to the second

or just go $hell-out for a sto'-bot anchor

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the pull-pal anchors and their reviews seem to be very good but I hate to spend $300 for something I'll probably never use. Other option is the spike routine. You can find military surplus kits cheaper than old axles and about the same size (2 spikes and a coupler for about $40). It works for the military, might work for me. Of course you have to carry a sledge hammer too. Shovel and jack can be pretty useful. Burring the spare is a serious last resort.

Best solution would be to just stay away from the really soft stuff! (-:}

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
Burring the spare is a serious last resort.
ya got that right!...... but i know peeps that've done it and it worked

'course they whuddn't stuck in sand either....... and it was their only option @-the-time

oughta be able to pick up a coupla worthless axles at a junk yard or truck shop for a song..... you might even get'em to pull out the blue wrench and point for ya but i wouldn't pay much more'n scrap price for'em since that's all they're worth

year's ago i gotta coupla freebies and they pointed'em for me but never had to use'em

·
Banned
12,705 Posts
personally I wouldn't bother... maybe if you were trecking in Baja or the Saharah??? Unless you run a vehicle INTO the surf, a shovel and a bit of wit will get you out of just about anything you will find yourself in on the Texas coast...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Winching Anchor Points

I've never had a winch to get me out...But I think If I had one I'd
just get a 12+lb Danforth anchor with a piece of chain on each end...
one peice at the eye and another to the crown...Extend the winch line,
set the anchor...and pull...after your out use the chain attached to the
crown to back the anchor out...
Like I said I've never used this technique....But I should work...Used
Danforth anchors are not that expensive....And easier than burying your
spare...
My $.02
Mustad7731
Jackie

·
Cast & Blaster
3,333 Posts
I've winched myself in ALOT of situations... have used both in my mud boat rig where I can drag a dangforth right back to the boat and also the Pull Pall in my truck... Both will drag don't kid yourself. In a pinch, yes burying your spare will work as an anchor and hold you... I've done this. Even had one time where I was on the banks of a creek stuck in the sand w/ no winch just a strap & by myself... I wrapped a strap around the tire and tied one end on a tree, use the tire as a winch... you can get creative just have to work with whatever the situation provides you.

Just air down, carry CO2 or a compressor with you. Remember 4WD only gets you 30' further into somewhere you shouldn't have been in the first place :D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Danforth Anchor Update

I spoke to my nephew yesteday...He indicated that the anchor thing
sometimes needs to have a trench cut to be sure the flukes are grabbing
in "Simi Solid" earth before tension is applied to the anchor...I'd think a
shallow trench of 9"-12" would be enough in most cases...I'd be sure to
also dig a slit to put the anchor shaft and winch cable in also...
To allow the anchor to get the best possible bite...
Mustad7731

1 - 9 of 9 Posts