2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot this ram last weekend just before dark. Notice the wear on front hooves. I've never seen anything like it. I can't believe he was still moving around. Anyone heard of determining age by counting rings on horns? 101_6803.jpg

101_6813.jpg

101_6804.jpg

·
******* Deer Hunter
208 Posts
Very Nice. Thanks for posting I just got a little 2cooler education 101 on how big those suckers really are. Nice pics :cheers:

·
Master of Boats
1,434 Posts
Very nice! What did the horn length measure out to be?

Willow City Loop is one of my favorite rides..... when not banging holes in stuff!

·
Registered
772 Posts
With Big Horn sheep and other sheep the annual rings are fairly prominent. There is almost a seam at each age ring. Looking at the photos of your Audad they don't seem to be as apparent.

Bet he is an old one. Was he free range?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
NICE!! I bet he was stiiiinky!

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We counted approx. 43 rings. Surely they don't live to be that old. The animal didn't stink and had a very light musk smell. He weighed pretty close to 300 lbs and was a buger gear getting him into the jeep. He was shot on a low fence ranch we've been hunting for the past 30 years.

Its going to be a long 4 months before I get that big daddy on the wall.

·
Get the Net!
1,236 Posts
That's a great Aoudad ram there - our lease in Real County is crawling with them. Can be a problem at times when it comes to feeders, but they're a lot of fun to hunt for sure.

·
Registered
686 Posts
He is most likely around 8 or 9 years old. The growth rings you are looking for to count are the odd ones. If you look at all the rings you will notice about every 5 or 6th one it looks different, that is the ring you want to count for aging.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Great trophy, I want to take an Audad badly. I want to pedestal mount one with the front legs still on it so you can see all the cool hair on the chest and legs.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
We counted approx. 43 rings. Surely they don't live to be that old. The animal didn't stink and had a very light musk smell. He weighed pretty close to 300 lbs and was a buger gear getting him into the jeep. He was shot on a low fence ranch we've been hunting for the past 30 years.

Its going to be a long 4 months before I get that big daddy on the wall.
4 months is pretty quick, you do your own taxi??? I've had a Black Hawiian Ram the taxi for a year now. Good animal though. Definately a mature trophy!

·
Play Deep
3,621 Posts
auodad

nice ram-which/whose ranch do yall hunt. i have a friend whose family owns a spread in willow city-just curious. congrats(good luck eating that one-gonna be a little rough)

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tiny-I've actually had most of my work done at Reeves Taxi. (sheldon area) He normally takes up to a year and yields quality work. One of the guests hunting with me last weekend introduced me to another taxi. in the willow brook area. He works out of his house and had some pretty nice examples to show. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll do a nice job. Will share photos and experience when complete.

mrsh978- Texas Moss Ranch located on the north side of Willow city loop. We've leased the property for a little over 30 years. The audad started moving into our place around 5 years ago which has made the hunt that more interesting. This year a few axis were spotted and we are pretty excited about that as well.

P.S. Already tried some and its tough as a boot. I'm having a friend make up big batch of tamales. Can't go wrong there!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts