2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to this board. great information. i just bought a 25 ft bayliner saratoga any info on whether this boat will work off shore or not. not sure of the size of the fuel tank Ithink around 80. it has a 302 4barrel i/o merc cruiser. i am semi new to off shore fishing. i have been on dolphin docks plenty of times. and a few in my 17ft. boston whaler 1962 nauset but never past the first rigs in port aransas. i plan on taking extra fuel. i have a hand held gps and a vhf. never have used a gps to go to a spef location off shore.but cant wait. thanks for any info

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
can you post a picture. If it is the design I think it is you should be fine as long as you arent out in too big a swell.

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
First. Saftey is ALWAYS first.
Might I suggest that you add a larger bilge pump in additopn to what you have.
Your fuel capicty means little without knowing your fuel consumption. If I remember correctly the rule of thumb is 1/3 out 1/3 back 1/3 reserve. So your distance our should only be as far as you can run on 1/3 tank.
Make sure there are no leaks or weather cracks in the rubber boot for your IO drive.
Everybody else on this board knows more about offshore than me.

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
my experience with other i/o's is that you will bet 1 to 1.5 mpg with that boat..
a

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,045 Posts
The boat is capable but I'd recommend you find an experienced friend to go along the first few runs. You also need to get a fixed VHF with an 8' antenna if you plan on running offshore much, it could save your life. I'd want a fixed mount GPS as well with the handheld GPS and VHF reserved for backup and kept in a ditch bag in case you need to bail one day, God forbid.

It's a whole different ballgame boating outside the sight of land and you need to take every precaution to insure that all of your trips are successful, and by successful I mean you come back to the dock with everyone and everything intact.

I'd also suggest you check out The Hull Truth (www.thehulltruth.com) and read, read, read. There is a wealth of information there not only about your boat but also about boating offshore in general. Like I said, the stakes are a lot higher when you venture out there on your own and it's your responsibility to make sure nothing goes wrong for you or your crew, and I'm not talking about the fishing.

That said, congratulations on the boat! It's an exciting thing fishing offshore out of your own vessel and I wish you the best of luck with it!

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Next best thing, or possibly better combined,
find a buddy boat..
a

·
Registered
175 Posts
That seems pretty sufficient to me. Just remember the saftey factor because it is a whole different world out there. I used to run a 25 ft Wellcraft, but downsized to a 21 ft. Fish-Hawk. I feel comfortable in seas under 3 ft, but I normally dont go out in more than 2's. That limits my offshore days, but I feel really safe and comfortable which means a lot to me. I have a handheld Meridian Marine GPS and dont have a problem with it at all. A fixed mount VHF and 8' antenna is a must for me. Just make sure to have all of your saftey equipment and you should be ok. Like said above, make sure that your bellows arent leaking on your sterndrive. Also you may want to think of a kicker of some sort due to having one motor. Thats currently on my list of things to get. Have fun out there, catching fish out of your own boat is a whole lot better feeling than off the party boats.. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
i need to get you and j.g. wheatley together. jim is an okc police office that trailers his boat to the texas coast. he has been doing this for a couple of years and can help you evaluate your boat and tell you what you might need to be able to safely get offshore and back. you might even do a trip as crew on his boat to get a feel for what is invovled...rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a fixed mount vhf with a 8ft antenna and I also have a backup hand held vhf. I have life jackets but I still need to buy a life ring and flares and yes I have a kicker on my mind. what would be the minimum horse power for this boat? It mounts to the swim platform. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Just one More
1,742 Posts
Make sure your life jackets are the Type 1, they will not saturate with water like the Type 3 jackets will over time in the water. You should also get two fire extinghishers. and DO NOT FORGET TO USE YOUR BLOWERS TO REMOVE FUMES FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT BEFORE YOU START YOUR ENGINE! Many boat fires are on boats with inboards due to the operator not ventilating the engine compartment. HAve fun and BE SAFE.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Its getting to the time of year when the weather windows are hard to catch but if you are dragging your boat down here to the coast, post it on this forum. Several of us are willing to buddy boat on nice days. I typically stay inside of 40 miles.

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
You should consider having your lower unit seals replaced by a saltwater marina before you try this. Several years ago my friends and I brought a freshwater i/o boat from Lake Michigan and we didn't do that. Saltwater caused many problems and we were always repairing this or that. The boat was a 25' Reinell. We caught many fish and never felt like we were in danger if the seas were under 6'. A good kicker is a really good idea. We had dual power and came in on 1 engine more than once.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Calm seas are the key

http://www.buoyweather.com/wxnav.jsp?region=GC&program=nww3BW1&grb=wna&latitude=27.75&longitude=-96.75&zone=-5&units=e

http://surfinfo.surfline.com/html/gulfwave.html

Should be fine in 2:3 if you remain calm.
Attached forecasting tools may help.

The surfinfo.surfline reference is generally quite accurate. Buoyweather is set to buoy 42002 (Baker rocks/knoll about 42 nm out). Remember - bilge ratings are "gallons per hour".

I have heard towing runs in the range of $1000+ per occurance so a "kicker" is usually a wise alternative when piloting a single engine configuration.

Contact me if you are looking for a deckhand. Under the right conditions I would be more than happy to join your crew.

1st_rate_mate
[email protected]

·
Banned
594 Posts
Dont overlook a good bottom machine

Lots of real good information above, but one thing I think thats been overlooked is the importance of a good bottom machine. There are alot of combination machines on the market, but I would seriously consider a Furuno 667 if you have a very dry electronics box or a step up to a 582 if not that dry. GPS will get you to an area that may have fish on it, but unless you can locate whatever and wherever the structure is you are just guessing as to whether there are fish below or not.Also a good source of valuable informaiton is Riks book.....check out www.redsnapperfishing.com for some good tips and solid fishing spots.
Good Luck
attached is a sounder pic with my 582L indicating a good place to fish

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Capt Blood

Looks like a good location from picture on depthfinder. Should have included a picture of your DGPS at the same location. Just kidding.

Bill S

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Looks like capt chris found one of my secret triggerfish holes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts