2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,679 Posts
I have been in pringle in lots of boats heavier that run deeper. I think it is about knowing your way into the S curve and then you are home free.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It depends on the tide for one thing--i have made into Pringle with several different boats but we got stuck in a Flats cat one day on a real low tide--not fun dragging a boat a few hundred yards in mid summer!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Oh yeah

Gotta know the S curve. Been in and out of there in Feb. low tide situation in an Extreme and a 21 Maverick Master Angler can also get in Contee with them however not in Feb.. Seen people go through windshields if they dont know the S curve. I wouldnt try to go through the first cut by the concrete riprap without a shallow draft boat.

·
www.southtexasfishandfowl .com
736 Posts
If the sun is out just follow the dark green water. I wouldn't just run threw there full throttle if you don't know where your going. On a decent tide you should be able to make it just cruising so if you do happen to get out of the channel your not so far up on the bar that you can't get off.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Shady said:
What do I need to know about the S curve? Been thru it once but it was in a Majek Redfish.
Don't depend on the channel markers - they have a habit of growing legs and moving to the other side of the channel.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Boat lane into Pringle Lake is currently very clearly marked with pvc pipes on both sides part of the way and a solid line of them on east side for the rest of the way.

Be very careful your first time through, I'd suggest you get out and wade through first, I don't care what kind of boat you're in. I have probably pulled or helped push 20 or maybe 30 off those bars over the years. One was a Game Warden!

As for running between Pringle and Contee and in/out of Contee in anything but a full tunnel flat bottom... good luck, I'll just wait by the phone or listen for the airboat to head out long about dark. I've been there a bunch of times guys, it ain't worth it.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Go into Pringle the first time in bright sunlight so you can see the channel. What EJ said about running into Contee from Pringle is right. I have not been stuck in there, but even in a shallow sport I have been very concerned at times.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No problem

I have run Extremes for years. There is no problem getting into Pringle, even on a low tide. I cannot recall not going into Pringle because of a low tide. I have also run every possible entrance to Pringle in my Extreme. I have not been stuck yet, but came close this year on the east end. Need some tide to run between those lakes in an Extreme, but you will be amazed at what they can do and how little water they can run in.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Hargis - you are correct - but how many years did you run all that stuff in RFL's and gain tons of local knowledge before you did it in an Extreme? You and others of your skill level would be the exception the rule. Anytime a new boater to the area asks the question I always try to encourage them to err on the side of caution.
Are you coming down for POCO?

·
HOOK 'EM
790 Posts
Hargis said:
I have run Extremes for years. There is no problem getting into Pringle, even on a low tide.
Hold yer horses there, podna. I've seen winter high tides you couldn't get a boat within 25 yards of the south shoreline. You go zipping in to Pringle, you better know what you're doing, and when to do it, no matter what you're driving.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Easy boys...

...just my observations. I am probably going to jinx myself with all this talk. It is true that you need to be careful, but I have never been stuck in or around Pringle. I ran my engine too high once in a Bash tournament and overheated, but did not stick.

And B2, as a non guide, I fish POC as much or more than most. I believe there was one occasion, in the winter, that I elected not to enter Pringle because of a low tide. I am not suggesting that anyone do something foolish, but I have never had a problem getting an Extreme into Pringle. Of course, that does not mean it can always be done.

EJ is right about his advice to folks without intimate knowledge of the area.

EJ, I will be in POC tonight. Have to leave Sunday evening, but I will be back in town Tuesday for some pre fishing and festivities. I hope to see you and Pam there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts