2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new lens last week. Canon 100 - 400 premium lens for sure as well as a Canon 2x add on. Taking a few shots today for work in our plants Wildlife reserve. Need to learn more on using them, but so far, I like them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363139057.788371.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363139072.311035.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363139092.338031.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awesome wildlife you have there. If you stop the lens down to its lowest aperture (distorted up a little from the 2x) and get a good focus, you will be able to blur out some backgrounds and really make your object stand out. I don't know if that's what you want, but it can make some pretty neat shots of wildlife in dull backgrounds.

One rule of thumb I use when shooting wildlife is to adjust the aperture with the wideness of the shot. Wider shots need more depth of field and a higher aperture (f22 at the most) and narrow profile type shots can benefit from a short depth of field and whatever the lowest aperture is on your lens will achieve that.

Good luck & keep them coming!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I agree, the 2x did distort somewhat as many were no good at all. Took some more without 2x andwas better. I like the dull backgrounds and tried various aperatures, but most did not come out well with focus while I am learning this lens. Tried more at lowest aperature, but still didn't get that nice blur effect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So aperture basically creates your depth of field. The lower the f/stop the less depth you'll have in focus and vice-versa.

In order to get the effect you're looking for, whatever is in focus will need to have physical space behind it that is outside of your depth of field.

Does that make sense? For example: If you're taking a closeup of a flower with a lens that can get to f/1.8, even parts of the flower might be out of focus and blurred with the rest of the background because the depth of field is so short...

Let me know if you have any more questions and maybe I can word it better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice photography and also dangerous one. You should chose wildlife photography as your occupation and contact to some Tv Chanel like National geographic or Discovery Chanel because i think you can earn great money by serve them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts