2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what changes to the wildlife (good or bad) you have noticed around your home after the storm? Here are mine in League City:

1. Many hummingbirds (I rarely saw any before the storm on my feeders).
2. Blue Jays (never saw any before the storm).
3. Countless doves in my feeder (cant keep up with their food demands).
4. Fire ants and Sugar ants in my house.
5. Mosquitoes larger than I have seen in my life.
6. Various other insects that I have never seen in my area.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
I have not seen any of the herrings or parrots here. I heard a flock of parrots made their way to Pasadena...give us back our birds LOL I'm sure they are upset and "talking"

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
We've had more BlueJays, too! I put water in the bird bath and it was funny to watch a big ole Bluejay jump in the middle and proceed to thke a bath, splashing water all over the place. Splashed so much out I had to refill the bath!

Had a squirrel bark at me yesterday also but they've been doing that somewhat regularly before the storm.

I've only seen 2 hummers back to our feeders post Ike but they looked to be bigger birds than before.

And, there's one very, very, very happy Mockingbird that's been staying around the backyard this week. Sucker just sings all the time, very loud and often. Maybe he's celebrating surviving Ike!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Pigs are tearing up my front yard. About 10 years ago, I had this problem in the back for about four years or so. Haven't really had a problem in the back for at least two years. Now since the cane, they have hit my front yard twice in the last week. Kind of ticks me off since this summer I spread a truck load of dirt in the front (spread by my manual labor), and the grass was just coming back.

We have also noted a few more hummingbirds than usual.

Played gold in Bay City yesterday, and saw a 8 point buck, an alligator, and a bald eagle. The gator and deer were not unusual to see there, but the eagle was

Skeeter Bait

·
Gone Fishing
12,003 Posts
I got 36,000 love bugs dead inside my lake house in Woodville Texas. Have no clue how they got inside. The bad part was the 10,000 still living when I left.

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Bill, your parrots are alive and well and living in Westover Park! I freaked out the first time a flock flew over and screeched at me. I assumed it was dove when I saw them and then they let out that sound, needless to say, I was not expecting that noise to come from a flock of doves.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hummer Migration

I think you guys should be getting the hummers , cause there gone from S. Colo. I think its close to the time they migrate.

·
Registered
822 Posts
freesp00l said:
Saw a cougar while fishing this weekend in Freesport. Scared the **** out of me. Never even knew they where around.
I grew up in the West Columbia / Damon area. As a kid, I can remember seeing and hearing them in the woods at my grandmothers (CR-4). A few weeks ago on the 610 Outdoor Show, Capt. Mickey said that somebody hit a 260# cat on Tri City Beach Road. They are definatly out there. Thanks - 69rrvert

·
Banned
245 Posts
Went to my duck hunting spot in the marsh around Harborwalk this last week and almost stepped on a 4 ft rattlesnake. Good thing he warned me just in time... Saw 2 more before it was all over. I have never seen a rattlesnake in the wild- definately gets your adrenaline pumping. Keep your eyes open in the marsh.

·
Who Farted?
1,868 Posts
No dove down in Sargent, well not last weekend anyways, but did get to chase a pretty big red fox while riding the fourwheeler on the hog lease fenceline in Sargent

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I grew up on Tri City Beach rd,seen 1 alive with my own eyes and seen 1 dead.

Profish if I could get my 3 grandsons to your place somehow even with the quanity I think they could atleast get the live ones within a matter of minutes you would of course have to supply the mason jars.

·
Stop Global Whining
494 Posts
Did not see the animals but went to Bryan Beach sunday and walked back looking at a big pile of logs and trash that was washed up, and found 2 sets of fresh deer tracks (big tracks) they zig zag around the pile then cut right through. Some people might not think this is strange but Bryan beach is pretty much a small island with very little woods, if you can even call it woods. Don't know where fresh water is either.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Driving around the Island yesterday, i noticed ALOT of teal in the marsh pond that they are normally in this time of year. I am not surprised to see them. To bad we missed teal season. We were supposed to hunt w/Jim West on opening day and had a beach house rented in Bolivar the night Ike showed up. Sure glad we cancelled!!!!

·
Gone Fishing
12,003 Posts
tiger said:
Profish if I could get my 3 grandsons to your place somehow even with the quanity I think they could atleast get the live ones within a matter of minutes you would of course have to supply the mason jars.
I have jars, lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts