2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bantam,

I just recently found this forum and I want to say thank you to you and Shimano for sponsoring it. I am a fishing tackle retailer who mostly uses Shimano reels and I do not hesitate to recommend Shimano products to my customers.:biggrin:

Now here's my question:
In another post about the CiticaDSV you said, "The SV is the salt version. This is a closed spool (no holes) developed for use in salt water."

I assume by this that the closed spool is intended to prevent saltwater intrusion into the reel. Why then do all three of my Calcuttas (150, 250, & 400) have holes drilled into the bottom of the left side plate? It would seem that a lot of salt would get into the reel this way. If not from anything other than the salt spray in the air!

What then is the theory and purpose behind these holes?:confused:

Thank you,
Bob

·
Casting Tales
406 Posts
The purpose for holes in the spool reduce the weight of the spool, which in turns helps increase casting distance. SV is the saltwater version, which includes a deeper spool for increased line capacity. The holes in the spool might let some water get in the spool but not much if any. You can always put a piece of take over the spool to prevent saltwater intrusion.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
I put Teflon tape over the holes in all my drilled spools to keep salt water out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think what you are referring to is the holes in the frame. I believe those holes are for draining in case of submerging the reel, but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes rmf92hunt. The hole in the frame was what I was asking about. I also suspected they are there to let the water out. But wouldn't it be better to try to keep the water out by not drilling a hole in the reel in the first place?!

Also, the position of the hole seems to be in the wrong place for draining water. If that is the purpose, then the hole should be on the back of the reel (so that when you put your rod in a rod holder in would drain). The only way the reel would drain with the holes drilled on the bottom would be if it were sitting horizontal like if it were sitting on a shelf.

I'm sure there's probably a simple answer to this, so what am I missing here?

By the way my Penn 955 (didn't buy it, I got that one for free:redface: ) has holes on both sides of the frame.

-Bob

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
The holes are indeed for water to drain from the reel if water enters it. Typically when you are fishing with the reel these holes will face down to allow the water to drain from the reel.

Some of our newer convwentional reels have the drain holes towards the back of the reel to allow drainage when stored vertically.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts