2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 7 years, the Redfish Cup folded after the Championships this year. Why do you suppose that happened? I would say that the revised format that changed to an "elite" tour with high entry fees and limited contestants was the death knell for that tour. It's interesting that the IFA Tour is still ginning and expanding, there have been no shortage of other tours to be created that cater to the average fisherman and without the ridiculously high entry fees. Doesn't seem to be any lack of people looking for the fun of competition with the hopes of a reward and some recognition. The economy doesn't seem to be a factor at least in Texas.

So, what say you?

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Super Dave

What I say is that I agree with you 100%. I knew it would come to that and many probably thought the same thing. It however was a little sooner than I expected. Gater

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
I don't think it had anything to do with the entry fees. Since they raised the price they seem to fill the number of spots that they wanted. I think it's more of a corporate sponsor thing than anything else. Big companies are cutting back and was the RFC getting the sponsor's the advertising coverage they were paying for?

I havn't done the math, but usually majority of entry fees go to pay the fisherman. Sponsorship money goes to pay the owners and staff. If the sponsors go away so do the owners.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Maybe it was complaints to Oberto that as long as they sponsored "fishermen" who constantly ruined fishing spots for regular fisherman, their product wouldn't be purchased? Maybe they realized that putting their logo on the sides of boats that constantly aggravated everyone else on the water was a bad idea?

Kinda like giving they keys to a Corvette with your company logo on the side to a teenager and expecting that to help your business. Sure it gets noticed, but is it in a good way?

Jeff

·
Registered
217 Posts
Maybe it was complaints to Oberto that as long as they sponsored "fishermen" who constantly ruined fishing spots for regular fisherman, their product wouldn't be purchased? Maybe they realized that putting their logo on the sides of boats that constantly aggravated everyone else on the water was a bad idea?

Kinda like giving they keys to a Corvette with your company logo on the side to a teenager and expecting that to help your business. Sure it gets noticed, but is it in a good way?

Jeff
Not likely.. Those "aggravated" fisherman represent a very small percentage of their total consumers.

I venture to guess that they came to the realization that what they were getting in return didn't justify the expense. I also think that the limited field, likely placed a greater demand on sponsorship money, to the point that the demand exceeded the need.

In a way I'm glad it has gone away, because the limited field perpetuated the snobbish tournament angler stereotype. If you want an informed opinion of tournament anglers, go fish a XRT, IFA, or TRS event. You'll find that the vast majority are great people with solid ethics. This is not the say that you won't run across the small percentage that mistakenly believe they are the center of the fishing universe..

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don't know why if failed but I am getting into the redfish tournament fishing and is loving it. You get to meet some really great anglers and people. I have learned a lot about redfishing this year just from these tournaments. I don't understand why some people think that us that fish these tournament are such bad people. Next one that is in your area come by and join in on the tournament and you will see for yourself.

·
Registered
467 Posts
With the large area covered by the the Redfish Cup I doubt enough money was available from corporate endorsements, etc. to keep it sustained. Secondly, with the relatively small group of competitors even though the higher entry fees it may have been to the benefit of the series to have more competitors. Or allow a qualifier the weekend before the tournaments to allow regional anglers a chance to compete against the tenured tournment anglers. Therefore providing more money to be provided to the tourneys. Ultimately maybe they tried to get to big to fast, it took bass fishing decades to evolve into what it has become at this day and time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts