2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happened to IDing a song and artist? I'm doing a lot of "spin the dial" at work because I can only listen to "The Wall" so many times in a day. I like the mix and the buzz, but I don't know all the artist. Maroon5, Nickleback, 3 Doors Down, Evenescance, and a few more. Why is the old format gone? I remember as a kid, setting the cassette recorder to the radio all day and hoping the DJ didn't step on the end of the song to let me know who it was! ComeFrom? you got a perspective on this?

Okay, off the soapbox(how many of us REALLY know what that is?)

Rick

"Thank you for your support!" Bartle's and James circa 1987?

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Good point Rick!

It happens at work allmost every Saturday. One of us will put on the "Oldies" station. After a song that grabs us by the wookie, we try and guess who it was by.

The DJ allmost never says who it was. :(

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I became a fan of Evanescence(?) while screening a cd that my daughter wanted. She had only heard the 2 popular songs they had played on air at that time. Funny thing is, I really like the mix of voice, metal and effects. She got the CD against her mother's wishes but I did edit out 3 songs, she's only 13 so that's my porogative. She can still hear the full CD with me, just not over and over on her own.

·
Registered
276 Posts
DJ's

It's not always the DJ's fault. In the good old days every station was being operated by a honest-to-goodness live person sitting with the music. In today's climate of deregulation within the media industry you'll find many stations are simply playing a songlist from a computer database and a DJ stationed in another city is doing occasional breaks. It's a cost-cutting measure that takes away one of the old training areas for new jocks and takes away some of the responsiveness of the station.

The good news is that most stations are currently or will soon transmit digital information such as the artist and song title that you'll be able to see on your radio while the song is playing.

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand...

newbie said:
It's not always the DJ's fault. In the good old days every station was being operated by a honest-to-goodness live person sitting with the music.
The good news is that most stations are currently or will soon transmit digital information such as the artist and song title that you'll be able to see on your radio while the song is playing.
That's ok. I realize new tech rules, but I get tired of forking $$$$ over for the latest and greatest. My truck is pre win 95, but it is installed with the latest and greatest mp3 player. Let's just slow down a bit!

·
Premium Member
23,848 Posts
it's a pretty well kept secret, but Shake Russell and Dana Cooper are going to be doing a gig at Pam's Place on the 18th here in LC. Don't need no stinkin' DJ's for that one ;)

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
"I Need A Dirty DJ..."

CoolChange©© said:
What happened to IDing a song and artist? I'm doing a lot of "spin the dial" at work because I can only listen to "The Wall" so many times in a day. I like the mix and the buzz, but I don't know all the artist. Maroon5, Nickleback, 3 Doors Down, Evenescance, and a few more. Why is the old format gone? I remember as a kid, setting the cassette recorder to the radio all day and hoping the DJ didn't step on the end of the song to let me know who it was! ComeFrom? you got a perspective on this?

Okay, off the soapbox(how many of us REALLY know what that is?)

Rick

"Thank you for your support!" Bartle's and James circa 1987?
Rick;

Yes, I have no perspective on Maroon5, Nickleback, 3 Doors Down or Evenescance. I am nolo perspectus on such artists; however, if you hum a few bars and crank it up loud enough, I can tell you whether I've heard it before. I suspect it's time management, commercials and in every way the almighty dollar. My oldies station has been playing the same tunes too many times over lately. I can only take "Black Magic Woman" so many times, too. There has been so much fantastic music recorded since my 'yoot and to not play these is a war crime! CF? :smile:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
not a factor

speckle-catcher said:
Hey CC I got three words for ya:

Country Legends 97.1

and if you can't name 95% of the artists, you aint a true Texan
The type of music you listen to does not determine whether or not you are a true Texan. I would be lucky if I could name 1% of the artists on that station. But, if someone tries to tell me I'm not a "true" Texan, as my buddy says, "it's going to be on like Donkey Kong".

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
LOL @ Bayrat! I can name 98% of them on 97.1!

Shawn - One thing I really miss being up here in Denver is 97.1 ... We've got 102.1 which is similar, though.

Rick - That's why I built that bad arse system for you the way I did with lots of hard disk space. Get online and download 'em all!!

:brew:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts