2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
Wow! That just goes to show you how yough deer can be! That really sucks though! A really poor shot I might add!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I'm leaning more to a car or a fight with another buck that got infected. I believe you hit there with a rifle he's down for the count.
Or a .22 or arrow wound that got infected. A proper deer round hit there should have broken at least the L and probaby both shoulders.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wow~sorry to see that Roach. Definitely not in the desired spot but you would think that shot would have killed the deer even if he went off and died somewhere else. As large as the area is I would say thats the exit side. Definitely looks like he's lost some weight but it does look like he's using both legs in the pics.
May be a 50/50 gamble, he may heal up OR he may get an infection.

I would think if he walks out in front of you then you will be able to tell real quick what condition he is in and whether he will make it or needs to be taken out.

·
"Roach"
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm leaning more to a car or a fight with another buck that got infected. I believe you hit there with a rifle he's down for the count.
I killed a buck in 2003 that a guy that hunts by me shot a week before at 100yrds with a 270 w/ 150gr bullet right in the shoulder. The bullet hit the shoulder blade turned and exited the back about 1/4" from the spine, blew a golf ball size hole on exit and he lived. I killed him a week later and the wound had scabbed over. I've seen the the fastest of bows hit shoulders and stop without breaking bone too. Ever deer is different, but this guy was shot. -Roach

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I killed a buck in 2003 that a guy that hunts by me shot a week before at 100yrds with a 270 w/ 150gr bullet right in the shoulder. The bullet hit the shoulder blade turned and exited the back about 1/4" from the spine, blew a golf ball size hole on exit and he lived. I killed him a week later and the wound had scabbed over. I've seen the the fastest of bows hit shoulders and stop without breaking bone too. Ever deer is different, but this guy was shot. -Roach
He must have some hog genes in him somewhere to have a wound like that and be tickin

·
"Roach"
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He must have some hog genes in him somewhere to have a wound like that and be tickin
Got it on video when I shot him he was limping, but eating corn. When I pulled the hide off him I could stick my finger in the entry wound in the center of the shoulder and see it through the hole that came out his back between his shoulders. -Roach

1 - 20 of 35 Posts