2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 guys are hunting, guy A shoots a bird and is clearly on its way down. Guy B then shoots and folds the bird. Guys A dog goes and gets the bird and guy B rips it out of the Guy A dogs mouth. Claims to be his bird and that he shoot it. Whos gets the bird?

Oh and the bird is a goose, is Collared and Banded............... My thinking guy A got screwed.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Sounds like too much ego and testosterone in that blind .

Cut the band in half. Thats what you really want , right ?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guy A definately gets the bird. Guy B must be a rookie.
Nope, not a rookie. Neither guy has meet each other before. Guy A will not be hunting with Guy B again..

Oh and Guy B is going to mount the bird bc Guy B's dog ran out there and looked at the bird. Quote "Thats my dogs first goose retrieve....." How is that a retrieve if Guy A's dog brings the bird in that Guy A initially shot??

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Never saw a "claimer" that wasn't a wannabe. You got TWO of em.

"clearly on the way down" means nothing to me. I've seen geese fly for miles which were "clearly on the way down". The guy that folded him up and dropped him definitely has a claim. Second thing, if he was really folded up, the dog work was probably superfluous. Geese aren't hard to find.

It's one of those things that happens a lot. newbies and amateurs argue about it, holler "I got him!", shoot while the birds are still on their side before they get in front of everyone, etc. One of the reasons I'm glad I don't guide much anymore.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just for the record I am not a guide just a season hunter like guy A. I called the shot on the goose and the 4 other guys in the blind did not get him down he came to my side an I shot twice and on the second shot the bird came down. My dog got to the goose first but dropped it and his dog picked it up. This is not a big deal to at all. I am not a rookie at this but I did get alittle excited and grabed the bird. I asked if anyone else could have shot the bird and buy A said he thought he hit it. I then said we could split the band and the collar. He said if I was going to mount the bird I could have it. I asked again at the trucks if everyone was ok with me taking the bird and everyone including guy A was ok with it. I think the person that put the bird down should get the bands. It should not matter if the bird is burning oil. I wish guy A would have said something sooner. TreyBig the offer is still good on spliting up the band and collar, send me a PM or get with me through Third Coast.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Of course it's he said she said. I've seen guys shoot at a folded up dropping like a rock bird just to try to claim it. Doesn't seem like that's what happened. Hit geese often lose altitude and fly off. In my spread, the guy that crushed it would get it. Period. LT yeah maybe you got a little excited, but you asked twice and offered to split the bands. I'd hunt with you any day.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
The guy that killed it, unless #2 did it intentionally or shot when it was your called bird, becuase of the collar. If he did that, he wouldn't get it or hunt with me much again. If the bird was coming down hard and not sailing it would be shooter 1's bird. Of course it is a he said she said.

But him taking the bird out of YOUR dogs mouth is a HUGE NO NO. You don't talk to or touch my dog when he is working, period. Big d*&k move for sure. Sounds like something a guy I use to hunt with would do.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
But him taking the bird out of YOUR dogs mouth is a HUGE NO NO. You don't talk to or touch my dog when he is working, period. Big d*&k move for sure. Sounds like something a guy I use to hunt with would do.
Breach of protocol, to be sure, but if I went ballistic every time it happened, well, I wouldn't have many hunting buddies left. Especially the "talking to" part. My dogs get lot's of "good dog!", and "thatta boy" on most hunts. I know this stretches credibility, and if you don't believe me I don't blame you, but my old dog retreived so many geese for clients that if only one guy shot he'd often drop the bird in front of the shooter on the way back into the spread. Worked for me.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I agree, I have seen way too many geese that were "going down" catch themselves and keep on keeping on. They might not have gotten off the roost the next day but they did get out of the spread and out of the field.

Just last weekend Dukfvr, Twdjr and I were hunting together and Twdjr and I both shot a speck and it came down with wings extended spinning like a pinwheel, like how they do sometimes from a head/neck shot. Generally DOA. We did not go pick it up right away as we had more birds in the air. A few minutes pass and the bird got up and flew off and neither of us was ready to shoot when it did.

They are not dead until they are dead. If it was hit and still flying and the next guy rolls it up then in my book the second guy killed the bird.

Dog work doesn't mean anything in who killed a bird. You either killed it or you didn't.

Bands are over-rated. Interesting and a nice suprise, yes, but they are not worth getting mad over. If in doubt I give it to the other guy and have done just that on several occasions. It just isn't that big of a deal. There are a whole lot bigger things in life to worry about than a bird band.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Breach of protocol, to be sure, but if I went ballistic every time it happened, well, I wouldn't have many hunting buddies left. Especially the "talking to" part. My dogs get lot's of "good dog!", and "thatta boy" on most hunts. I know this stretches credibility, and if you don't believe me I don't blame you, but my old dog retreived so many geese for clients that if only one guy shot he'd often drop the bird in front of the shooter on the way back into the spread. Worked for me.
The at-ta boys are great, I meant the back seat dog handler trying to give my dog commands and or directions to the bird. Should have clarified that. The taking of the bird is a big no no for me though, let me take the bird then I will distribute them. I don't usually balk at hunting dog stories because I have seen what a good lab is capable of and they never cease to amaze me. It really crushes me that Deke is 12 in Jan. and no longer hunts, but I won't get another hunter( I have spoiled rotten female, his pup, that is too gun shy to hunt but makes up for it in being a sweetheart,lol) for a few years.

·
Buzzards gotta eat! same as worms!!!!
2,944 Posts
Been hunting ducks and geese since the 70's... I have no collars or bands.....I have killed birds with both...The ones I could not clearly claim outright went to the " I got him shooter "....mainly younger nephews hunting with us....The ones I kept went to young hunters that needed some jewelry to hang on the new duck call lanyards....Keep the good friends, hunting buddies and memories....

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright well I see some of your points. Myself, being a duck hunter all my life, and only been on very few unsuccessfull goose hunts see your point of the geese gliding off. I did not make a bid deal out of it right then and there because im not one for confrontation, ecspecially with 4 other guys that I have only known for a couple of hours. Maybe my just over reaction or whatever of a goose shot bc it being only my 3rd goose to ever be shot and my first for my dog to ever retrieve. Whether he got there first or not. But he was the one to make the full retrieve. Bands or no bands I would have mounted that goose because of that reason. Did the same thing for his first duck retrieve.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts