2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
SpanishFly33 said:
I've seen people keep these but do they taste good? They look like a tough, bloody meat? If you eat them how do you cook em?
Absolutely unfit for human consumption.....call me and I will dispose of all you catch safely!

Seriously though, they are great eating, whiter meat than a King and milder flavor. Fry or grill...UUUMMMMMMMMMMMMM good
Bob:D

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,321 Posts
BEER4BAIT said:
Grilled or baked with miricle whip on them. yummy!
that's a new one to me...miricle whip on them before or after baking?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Just so happens I am thawing out some for tonight I caught last Oct tonight. I think I will cook them in a red sauce pecante' and serve over rice. They are better then good, cut the red meat vein out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We've always tossed em back, what is the size limit? Daily bag? I could have almost guaranteed someone was going to say season it on a pine board, smoke it, throw the fish away and eat the board.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
They are a very good eating fish. I've caught several in the 20" range lately and have kept them all. Just cut out the little red strip and cook them up however you like. My dad likes them better than trout as a matter of fact. It's a very good flaky white meat, better than kingfish and a breeze to fillet. Probably one of the easiest fish to clean.

529 Posts
I 've been eating them for years. the secret is to bleed them out before filleting them. I usually cut the tail off right at the end of the meat line while its still alive...its own heart will pump out the blood and then die of course...but what you get are some excellent fillets with hardly any blood in them...yumm.....yumm

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kyle 1974 said:
Agreed 100%... filet and cut the blood line out of the center. I've eaten them fried along with trout, and although they don't taste the same, they're certainly just as good in my opinion
where is the blood line? will i cut it out after I fillet it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts