2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a lot/lift in Freeport, but may have to start looking towards Sargent.

How many of y'all run out of Mitchell's cut? How hard is it to read in low light, or tide changes, or rough weather?

I'm worried some of the canals in Sargent are a bit shallow for a twin outboard deep V.

Any advice/input is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
you'd be fine running in and out of caney creek, just know where and not where to run. sweet part is you'd have a lot more fishing to yourself there. east gorda can get hectic at times but offshore not so.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have been offshore fishing out of Sargent for about 17 years , going out the cut not that bad you will get used to it. they say there going to build a jetty on the Sargent side this fall (we will see). Moat of the canals are good for offshore boats , Caney Creek is better.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been offshore fishing out of Sargent for about 17 years , going out the cut not that bad you will get used to it. they say there going to build a jetty on the Sargent side this fall (we will see). Moat of the canals are good for offshore boats , Caney Creek is better.
I thought I had read that Caney had shoaled up near where it meets the ICW on both cuts? Was it dredged? This was a few years back.

I should probably go down there and idle it in a bay boat, get a good idea of depth. Then drag the 28' down.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just did a 65mile water recon all over at Sargent ... never saw water depth less than 12' in and out of Mitchell.. I idled out into the Gulf marking the channel then set a route for the next time which I hope to be coming very soon if the water has greened ....only bad spot found was from Joey Bait north parallel to HWY457 to the canals entrance at 3' and Caney mouth to the wast side canals entrance ......I have twins (60" centers) at 8000 pounds and 18" draft......Caney Creek mouth at ICW west fork had better depth ,no issues ..Warning watch out for floating lumber / timber in Caney and ICW ..... I am done with Sabine ,Galveston, and Surfside .......
White Tire Automotive tire Gas Aircraft

·
Registered
544 Posts
I just did a 65mile water recon all over at Sargent ... never saw water depth less than 12' in and out of Mitchell.. I idled out into the Gulf marking the channel then set a route for the next time which I hope to be coming very soon if the water has greened ....only bad spot found was from Joey Bait north parallel to HWY457 to the canals entrance at 3' and Caney mouth to the wast side canals entrance ......I have twins (60" centers) at 8000 pounds and 18" draft......Caney Creek mouth at ICW west fork had better depth ,no issues ..Warning watch out for floating lumber / timber in Caney and ICW ..... I am done with Sabine ,Galveston, and Surfside .......
View attachment 4616155
If you marked nothing less than 12' in and out of the cut then you need a new sounder. I am as careful as they come and I bumped my skeg coming in on a low tide a couple weeks back, so approx 2' deep. Remember, the shallowest bar is a long way from shore. By the west beach it is always nice and deep.
In the creek you have to know where to run or you will quickly damage your props and lower units on oyster shell. The canal entrances will barely float an offshore boat during a normal tide, they are unusable during low winter tides. This year I have gone back to taking a right at the Y when heading out, it was nice two weeks back. BTW, I idle my offshore boat through the creek to the intercoastal.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
I did not venture far out into the Gulf from Mitchell...only paralleled the beach left and right then turned around as is was rough to say the least June 1st ... took a wave over the nose while turning around ......I knew the shallowest part was yet to come going out but did not get the chance to sonar it ...Capt Cole Reveille Charters,Capt Tipps, and capt Charlie gave me some intel on going out Michell

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you marked nothing less than 12' in and out of the cut then you need a new sounder. I am as careful as they come and I bumped my skeg coming in on a low tide a couple weeks back, so approx 2' deep. Remember, the shallowest bar is a long way from shore. By the west beach it is always nice and deep.
In the creek you have to know where to run or you will quickly damage your props and lower units on oyster shell. The canal entrances will barely float an offshore boat during a normal tide, they are unusable during low winter tides. This year I have gone back to taking a right at the Y when heading out, it was nice two weeks back. BTW, I idle my offshore boat through the creek to the intercoastal.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
Had a place in Sargent for 12 years, still keep two boats there. Agree with JWT, he is spot on all points.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Went in and out of Mitchell's cut for over twenty years, including in a 28' Proline "Risk Taker" some probably saw her in the late 90's and 2000's, and while not been thru there in the last ten years, i doubt it changed much, including the fact that the channel veers to the West side. bottom line, there is no other conclusion than it can be a bit tricky, even in a smaller craft.

if you get out of the channel (which defnitely was never anywhere near 12' feet deep back then), especially in an sizable surf, you can quickly get into trouble as when the waves bottom out so too will your motor(s) as it can be quite shallow which of course causes the waves to break and can get somewhat dangerous

nothing a fairly experienced captain cannot handle but must proceed with caution unless the surf is flat.

never forget a late august/early September, post tropical system run with the in-laws out to a rig about 20miles or so to the SW ... killed the snapper in typical fashion following a tropical system such that brother-in-law insisted on staying into the evening. knew it was a mistake but he and his kids never caught fish like this so i went along. even though the GPS satellites were down, i had no issues getting in by memory and compass but by the time we got to the cut it was very dark and could not find the entrance to the cut. thankfully it was calm and after several hours made it into and thru the cut, getting home well past midnight.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any input on these areas?

There are a few lots on the south side of the small bridge. I see a handful of twin engine boats hanging in slips/slings, so I have to assume they get in and out. I'm just curious how frequently they are stuck due to a north wind or a
Map Urban design Thoroughfare Road City

1 - 17 of 17 Posts