2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Causes?

I normally see this on start-up but not once engine has warmed up.

Yesterday, I ran some errands and after leaving one of them, I notice white smoke coming from the exhaust. I'm talking about insect fogger thick. Go a little ways and it stops.

Mind you, yesterday was not that cold or I would have just asumed it was the colder than normal temps.

Same thing today.

·
1,923 Posts
blown head gasket
coolant bypassing the gasket into the cylinder when it's cold
once the block heats up it tightens up the leak
will get worse - and warp the head
compression test will tell you where it is

·
13,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blown head gasket
Is this a dealer only issue?

I hate the "rape" feeling I get when I drive into the dealers service area.

·
13,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blown head gasket
Explains why I have recently had to add coolant.

What is this going to set me back at the dealer or can I trust someone else to do it.

Not under warranty.

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts

unless it's a warenty repair .. nothing is dealer only ... hell you could do it in the garage with a couple of tools (and alot of time) if you were so inclined

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts

depends on your skillz

Did you overheat it? I remember you had problems with the coolant system a while back. Something about the temp surging at a stop.

If you overheated it most likely what the others said......sorry

If it makes ya feel better, I will buy you a beer! no need for a cooler!

·
13,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
depends on your skillz

Did you overheat it? I remember you had problems with the coolant system a while back. Something about the temp surging at a stop.

If you overheated it most likely what the others said......sorry

If it makes ya feel better, I will buy you a beer! no need for a cooler!
No, there was a pinhole leak in my recovery tank.

I switched it out and cleared it up, so I thought.

I added @ 1/3 gallon last night but that was it since I swapped the recovery tank last month.

Also have a diesel smell coming from the heater at times, especially when sitting idle.

·
Ua pau te maitai no te fenua
51 Posts
Check the Egr cooler I see more of them go out than head gaskets.... most people think it is head gaskets and tear em down and find out the hard way. I sell my customers a egr delete kit to do away with the problem. I work on more ford 6.0 diesels than i care to talk about, if you need some info pm me.

·
Premium Member
15,752 Posts
Yup, check the egr cooler. As far as head gaskets go, i just had mine changed and they removed the cab to do it. It is a little more than a driveway job IMO. If you have the gaskets done, upgrade the headbolt to arp studs and be done with the problem. EGR delete will leave you without a heater.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
Check the Egr cooler I see more of them go out than head gaskets.... most people think it is head gaskets and tear em down and find out the hard way. I sell my customers a egr delete kit to do away with the problem. I work on more ford 6.0 diesels than i care to talk about, if you need some info pm me.
My son's inlaws just had the EGR cooler fail on their 2004 HD Edition F250. It was a cab off job to replace.

I drive a Duramax myself, but out of curiosity, could they have just installed the delete kit? I know they were out several thousand bucks!

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Do you drive a Ford 6.0 or 6.4 diesel?
My 6.4 PSD had "fogger think" white smoke a few times last week and this week. I found out it was stuck in "regen" mode and the smoke was the excess fuel dumping in and burning off. I ran it around town for about 40 minutes to clear it up and get OUT of regen mode. It hasn't happened since.

This would not happen at start-up, but a few miles later once the engine was warmed up. Then it would go away after a couple miles of driving.

·
13,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you drive a Ford 6.0 or 6.4 diesel?
My 6.4 PSD had "fogger think" white smoke a few times last week and this week. I found out it was stuck in "regen" mode and the smoke was the excess fuel dumping in and burning off. I ran it around town for about 40 minutes to clear it up and get OUT of regen mode. It hasn't happened since.

This would not happen at start-up, but a few miles later once the engine was warmed up. Then it would go away after a couple miles of driving.
I have the 6.0 and it is doing as you describe. What do you mean by regen mode and how does one ID if this is the issue?

·
Registered
88 Posts
my 6.0 had the gas smell for a while i took it in and they changed a seal around the fuel filter, and my a/c was acting up and they changed something either way the smell is gone. look and see if anything under the hood is wet like diesel is leaking. and is your a/c working fine?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts