2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had roughly 10k to spend on a used truck. What would you look for. As far as mileage, make, reliability, etc...

Im asking for a buddy. I told him tacoma but he doesnt really fit in them he's a pretty tall dude.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
You need to be more specific on what he intends to use it for. Does he want gas or diesel, 1/2 or 3/4 ton, 4x4 or 2wd, is this something to drive to work every day or tow a 30' boat with, etc.... Way too many variables at play without some additional information.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,045 Posts
I'd look for a '99 - '03 Ford F250/F350 w/ 7.3l PowerStroke. You should be able to find one in that price range.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
drive to work everyday, doesnt NEED 4wd but wants it (of course). Isnt going to tow anything. Gas preferrably
Given those parameters I would look at a Z71. There are hundreds of thousands of those trucks on (and off) the road, so any future parts should be extremely easy to find. They are reliable and should be dependable for over 200K miles if treated right. As for mileage...I'd look for something UNDER 70K miles and that does NOT have a lift kit, mud tires, etc...etc...

And FWIW...I'm a "Ford Guy" these days.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
ive got a 97 f-150 extended cab, silver 99k miles, K & N filter, asking $3500. reliable, just put in a new ac compressor. Interior looks new...used to drive it, but now its used about 2x a week. Great truck, just dont absolutely need it anymore.

·
Got Wasabi?
2,635 Posts
Having done this just 6 moths ago...

'97-'03 F-150, '99-'03 Chevy (before they got the Angular front ends), '00-'02 Tundra possibly. These are general guidelines. If he can find one newer that passes inspection that fits his budget, have at it.

Avoid older Nissan Titans, and Dodges. Both have reputations for problems (Check Consumer Reports Auto guides for this, they get their ratings from their subscribers)

Most important is being patient, and doing a thorough inspection of the vehicle (make sure everything works, trans shifts smoothly, no starting problems with engine hot and cold, etc) and having a mechanic inspect it and giving estimates for repair costs for any problems (cost me $110 on my current truck)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.