2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
both are knight black powder one straight 45 the other 50 w/45cal sabo
and the same number of grains of same powder. which do you thicnk to be more acc. at 2ooyds?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Not big in the BP thing, but still, probably the most important thing would be the twist rate for the bullets being used.

In a standard rifle, the faster the twist, the heavier for caliber bullets you can use. This said, velocity has some to do with that as well.

I think that the diameter/length of these BP bullets however will require a slower twist as they are heavier bur fatter in diameter. So, I would think with the standard 45 caliber barrel, the twist would be more suited to the bullet weights it normally shoots and the same for the 50, but when you sabot the 50 your going to or should be able to run it a bit faster to make up for the slower twist. If that makes any sense to you. Bottom line is you would probably have to try out the combination in each to determine the actual best of the two in accuracy at that specific range.

So all that said, I'm just as confused now as I was when I started typing. LOL Hope it helped some,

·
Banned
2,395 Posts
So many variables..... hard to say. you can probably get either of them to shoot with some work, testing, etc.

Remember, one of the reasons modern smokeless is more accurate than blackpoweder is because of consistency. Weigh your bullets/balls, weigh your powder charges accurately (I've never used the pellets so I am not sure how consistent they are), and be consistent every time during your loading/firing process and in your cleaning and maintenance.

Also, as SC mentioned above, know what your weapon was rifled for. Balls and bullets need different twists. The difference between sabots and bullets shouldn't be as great but I am sure there is one. Find out what the manufacturer recommends.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
tough call , a high end maxi ball is pretty accurate, but a sabot uses a modern bullet in the plastic jacket.

considering the grain weights of the actual bullets are the same and the muzzle velocities are the same, I would have to go with the sabot.

at 200 yards it has better drag properties I would think.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
o.k.

I'm going back up prob. thur. will shoot both and let know! I'm using 150 grains peridex pellets in both. 50 with 45 sabot and 45 with 45 both bullets are hornady xtp i think. let yall know about tues after hunting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts