2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to buy a gen for the next power outage and some camping. At home my max load would be a fridge rated at 11 amps, small TV, small fan, laptop, and a light or two. I'm hoping a Honda eu2000 would handle that load because it is a quiet quality unit with low fuel consumption. If you didn't already have a gen what would you buy? Is a Honda worth it's high price? Where is the best place to buy one?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm planning on buying the Honda eu2000 that you mention to power my fridge for the long term. I got to use one from a friend who evacuated and it ran for about 7 hours on only 1.1 gallons of gas.

My plan is to purchase a Honda eu2000 and then a 5500 rated generator to run the evening and night hours until we go to bed. Then again in the morning to provide power for the girls to get ready and all. After that it will be the Honda eu2000 keeping the fridge and tv going.

I know it might be more money up front but the savings on gas I think will put me ahead in the long run. My neighbor ran a 6400 size generator and went through some gas during our 6 days without power.

My .02 cents

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I would not run a laptop or a nice tv on it unless you get a power conditioner. Think more along the lines of running the fridge, fan, a couple of lights and an older tv. You need to add up the watts and then figure out what you need. The hondas are great for camping but for running a bunch of stuff at the house they may be slightly inadequate. Your fridge alone is going to pull 1000 watts. Something for your house during an extended outage should be around 5000 watts.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I used a 3000 watt generator to run 2 window AC units. The noise of the generator is not much of a concern when using at home since you can have the unit out in the yard, and with the doors closed there is very little noise.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
HSP506 said:
My plan is to purchase a Honda eu2000 and then a 5500 rated generator to run the evening and night hours until we go to bed.
Funny man, that is my exact setup!!! I have a Honda eu2000 which is as quiet as can be and I just bought a 5500 for the house, but it does suck some gas!! I wound up loaning my honda to my neighbor because he had nothing, but good thinking man!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
i think im gonna wait and pick up a used eu3000 or 2000.. someone is bound to get rid of them around christmas to free some cash up

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
eu2000 is a good choice if you go camping and use it for fishing but $1000 is not fun when you can get one from sears for $600 at 4000 watt and it will do a window unit to keep you cool also at 140lb it was able to put it in my truck by myself ..

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I ran my entire house with the exception of AC, range, and dryer and my next door neighbors freezer and fridge with a 5550 Troybilt. I got a reading of 103v
at my plugs and could even run a coffee maker. The downside to this unit is it is uncomfortably noisy. I believe with a little ingenuity an exhaust muffler system can be designed to quiet it down.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
I run a tandem eu2000i but after Rita just had one eu2000i and it ran a fridge, window unit, lights, tv stereo, microwave, and coffee pot. I would alternate the fridge and deep freeze. I got less with machine and gas cost than my neighbor and his 5500 coleman and his fuel cost. I have a few 2000's left and some yamaha 2400 and 3000i's

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
tec said:
I plan to buy a gen for the next power outage and some camping. At home my max load would be a fridge rated at 11 amps, small TV, small fan, laptop, and a light or two. I'm hoping a Honda eu2000 would handle that load because it is a quiet quality unit with low fuel consumption. If you didn't already have a gen what would you buy? Is a Honda worth it's high price? Where is the best place to buy one?
i have the EB2200 honda and it works well.... and fairly quiet.. .my neighbors didn't even know i had one in the backyard...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
boashna said:
eu2000 is a good choice if you go camping and use it for fishing but $1000 is not fun when you can get one from sears for $600 at 4000 watt and it will do a window unit to keep you cool also at 140lb it was able to put it in my truck by myself ..
Got the same one. It ran 12hrs on a tank of gas. Not all that loud either. It powered my duplex nicely.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
We have two of the Honda eu2000i's and love them. Adequate power, quiet, fuel sippers, easily moveable by one person, much cleaner power for running sensitive electronics like your laptop.

Check www.wisesales.com and www.mayberrys.com for the best price on the Honda's. Both places sell them for $899 to your door, free shipping and tax.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just got mine in from Wise sales. I told my wife we had to have one for the next storm. Of course it is headed for the deer lease. All my lease mates will have gen envy once they see this tea sipper.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001 I plug it into the generator then plug in the extension cord, it tells how many watts you are using and tell other thing to. I was surprised my full sized GE side by side refridgerator only uses 170 watts when the compressor is running. I also have the Honda EU2000 and was running the refridgerator a 6000 BTU window unit fan and a light at the same time. I ran my EU 2000 with the eco-throttle switch on all the time which saves gas. I got up to 13 hours on one gallon of gas with a light load.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I used my Troy-Built 13.kw starting.. 8000 cont. to run my Home.. 4 ton ac..While running the ac.. Fuel usage was 10 hrs.. 7 gal....... Without the air 14+ hours on 7 gals.. This is with a Em. Disc. Running the whole house...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I just purchased an EU2000I and sent it to Houston (I'm in DFW area) for a family to use, so I haven't even got to see it run. I hear they are excellent units so when they get power back I may get to see it in action :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
11andy11 said:
I would not run a laptop or a nice tv on it unless you get a power conditioner. Think more along the lines of running the fridge, fan, a couple of lights and an older tv. You need to add up the watts and then figure out what you need. The hondas are great for camping but for running a bunch of stuff at the house they may be slightly inadequate. Your fridge alone is going to pull 1000 watts. Something for your house during an extended outage should be around 5000 watts.
The honda is an invertor, so the power source is perfect for a laptop.

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
Coleman Powermate 5000 - Techcumse 10 HP

I ended up with a refirb Coleman Powermate 5000 - Techcumse 10 HP.

Watch your oil change intervals and usage.

15.5 hrs on a 5 gal fill up. LOUD..yest it was. I purchase the quiet muffler for 70 bucks.. no can hear it from the house and almost sleeping better.

They have some with subaru engines or B/S with a OVH and they are quiet. CAn be purchase around town for less than 700

Still no power, but we seen the tree folks yesterday in the area working.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
guys i have a honda 2500 and a Porter & Cable 7500, the P&C ran my house except the a/c but did have 2 fridges, lights, fans, microwave, toasters, etc plus 2 computers.

yes it was a tad loud but i traded off the noise for the ceiling fans and ice cubes.

funny thing ( not really) though the day power came back it blew out my a/c, wish there was some way to collect on that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts