2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking about getting a dog in a few months. Our last dog past unexpectantly a few weeks back. Trying to decide between a lab and golden retreiver. We have a 5 year old boy and a 1 year old daughter. We camp occasionally, boat as much as possible and both work regular days. We are leaning more towards the golden because of the smaller (not much) size but am worried about all the hair. I had a lab growing up so I know what to expect there. It will be a rescued dog no matter what, probably a pup. Not looking to use it for any hunting (unless it can catch fish).

Any suggestions on which direction we should go?

Jason

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
If you can find a breeder that has some of the smaller size labs that might be a great "mix" of the 2 for your family.
My father-in-law had a couple really awesome labs and they were not the huge mammoth dogs that many labs I see around here are. You don't have to get a HUGE lab. I've seen several under 70 lbs and they are awesome dogs.

·
Aggie Angler
3,794 Posts
Ok between your two choices, I would probably go with the lab.
I just got a GSP and my parents also have one. Both females. They are great dogs and really smart. Everyone says they are extremely hyper and our experience as well as our friends that have them seem to agree that they are not as hyper as they are said to be. They aren't any worse than labs.
Good luck! and sorry about your loss

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Either one would be fine. I lean towards the lab. Shorter hair for one.
We have a 12yr old Yellow lab and a 4 yr old Aussie.
START TRAINING on DAY 1 is the KEY.
Both of ours are very well trained therefore are very good family members.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many people told us Annie (Picture below) was a red heeler. We think she was really an American Dingo (http://www.americandingo.com/) but either way, she was a great dog. I don't think we could go the heeler route because it just wouldn't be Annie. I've thought about the aussie but want to make sure it is a water dog. Can anyone recommend a good rescue for labs or goldens? I've done the google search but would like to hear from someone that can really recommend the place.

Jason

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I also have an Aussie and they are great dogs. Love kids, water and very obedient. I didn;t get mine from a rescue but I think it is an excellent idea...Here is a Houston Aussie Rescue Organization www.staraussierescue.org/

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
also check out a labradoodle and golden doodle they're fine as a lab and dont shed hair. Wouldn't trade my yellow for anything but looking for a doodle as my next house pet.
I am going to pretend I am hallucinating, don't know why I would be, but still. As most know, I am fond of labs, but a heeler/aussie mix is also a great dog but might be a little much for a 1 year old. I would get a small framed lab, they are out there, I own 2--THE TERRORISTS. rs

·
El Viejo
23,413 Posts
Jason., Don't know where you live, but if it is in Houston you might check out my Vet.(link below) . They run a rescue service there and usually have about a dozen pets available. I can guarantee any dog you get from Dr . H. will be in first class shape...

Blessings on ya for going the rescue route....Merry Christmas

http://www.wacbellaire.com/Rescue.htm

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Lab of course. But IMO goldens are going to cause you more of a hair issue, just look at them,lol. And they aren't a smaller dog than a lab, most that I have been around are alot bigger than my labs.

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
Lab of course. But IMO goldens are going to cause you more of a hair issue, just look at them,lol. And they aren't a smaller dog than a lab, most that I have been around are alot bigger than my labs.
Deke is right on, most Golden Retriever's are around 90-100 lbs at maturity, at least my parent's dogs were. rs

1 - 20 of 27 Posts