2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose I should call the Mercury dealer to see what the recommended oil is for the motor I'm getting... but it's so old I know they're going to tell me something stupid like, "we don't support that year model anymore" so, I thought I'd ask ya'll what you think about the "best" pre-mix oil... also what ratio do I have to mix it? 40:1, 50:1 ?? **** if I know. I haven't had a two-cycle outboard engine for years and the last one I had used 16 or 24:1 it was made in 1958... same year as me LOL...
This "new" motor is a 1975 Merc. 175 HP.... any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hawk, your motor should run a 50:1 mix if I remember correctly. I know the '77 model year Mercs used that mixture so I would bet that it didn't change in two years time. Just use the "cheap" 87 octane and a good TC-W3 and you should be set.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I don't know about everybody else, but I run Quicksilver most of the time, unless I can get Johnson brand. I think every motor manufacturer has come out with their own brand of oil, which they claim is the best for their motor. Mercury, Yamaha, Johnson and Nissan I beleive all have their own brands.

As for the mix ratio, I use 16 ounces of oil to 6 gallons of gas, whatever that comes out to. For a motor that old, (like mine used to be :( ) I would mix 16 ounces to about 5 gallons the first couple of trips, to make sure it is lubed up good. Somebody will say that is un-nessecary, but I like to be safer than sorry.

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
I concur,MuddCatt....

I use Johnson,and less frequently,Quicksilver(omc),and mix it 16oz.:6 gal.....Tried Pennzoil,never again;gummed it up horrible.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
texasflyfisher said:
I use Amsoil in everything I own. They have an excellent 50:1 premix and the best injector oil on the market.
I just read some stuff on Amsoil... they say you can mix 100:1 has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so.. if the boat has two 12 gallon tanks like the guy tells me, I can put a quart in each tank and fill 'er up? Is it best to add half of the gas, then put in the oil and then finish filling the tank to get the oil mixed in good?

I think adding a little extra sounds like a good idea until the engine gets a little run time on it..

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nikonos said:
Hawk, your motor should run a 50:1 mix if I remember correctly. I know the '77 model year Mercs used that mixture so I would bet that it didn't change in two years time. Just use the "cheap" 87 octane and a good TC-W3 and you should be set.
Nikonos,
I made a typo... it's a '76 model, but you're right... I doubt they changed it from one model year to the next...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yes they do have a 100:1 premix oil and it works just fine at 100:1. I use it in my chain saws. They run cooler and with more HP on the 100:1 than they do with the 40 or 50:1 regular oil. Since the Amsoil is 100% sythetic it has different rules. If you try to run the 100:1 in a richer ration that what it was designed for you lose a little horse power but I've never had it foul a plug or gum anything up. They have a good tech department that can answer your questions

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Hawkeye...

I use a longneck funnel;measure my oil,pour in funnel while "rinsing"the funnel out with a gallon or so of gas;remove the funnel and finish filling.I generally don't mix more than 32 oz./12 gal. at a time.repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would put two 16 oz bottles in each tank, add 10 gallons of gas to each tank. I always try to put the oil in first, just the way I am. :) The first thing I would do (if you don't try it on the way home) if the gas hasn't been treated, or it hasn't been filled since the winter, is drain both tanks, and add complete fresh new fuel.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I ran a '93 Merc 20hp for three years and used both Quicksilver and Super Tech. Honestly I could not tell a difference in performance or carbon deposits on my plugs between the $12 gallon of Quicksilver and the $6 gallon of Super Tech, and as much as I hate Wal-Mart their ST brand really amazed me. As far as Amsoil...they've been around for quite some time but you really don't hear of many people using their product. It may be a quality product but the price and lack of use amongst the general public always kept me away.

In my 6 gallon tank I dumped a pint of oil in and then added six gallons of gas to achieve the 50:1 ratio.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
texasflyfisher said:
Yes they do have a 100:1 premix oil and it works just fine at 100:1. I use it in my chain saws. They run cooler and with more HP on the 100:1 than they do with the 40 or 50:1 regular oil. Since the Amsoil is 100% sythetic it has different rules. If you try to run the 100:1 in a richer ration that what it was designed for you lose a little horse power but I've never had it foul a plug or gum anything up. They have a good tech department that can answer your questions
I'll have to give them a call... does the amsoil smoke as much as "regular" 2-cycle oil? I've run synthetic oils in my vehicles and I like it a lot... I see no reason not to at least consider it for the boat... I like it that the synthetics seem to remove varnish, rather than contribute to it... in a 4-stroke at least... maybe there's something to that stuff, huh? I'l find their customer tech support number and phone them tomorrow... thanks

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mudd_catt said:
I would put two 16 oz bottles in each tank, add 10 gallons of gas to each tank. I always try to put the oil in first, just the way I am. :) The first thing I would do (if you don't try it on the way home) if the gas hasn't been treated, or it hasn't been filled since the winter, is drain both tanks, and add complete fresh new fuel.
Roger that on replacing the old gas... and I'm leaning toward filling the tanks with fuel and oil, then driving to the lake to give the pre-mix a chance to mix good...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I will tell you this, if you don't fill up BEFORE getting to the lake, you will be sick, and not because of the boat not runnning right. Gas prices at the marina around here is getting close to $3 a gallon.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nikonos said:
I ran a '93 Merc 20hp for three years and used both Quicksilver and Super Tech. Honestly I could not tell a difference in performance or carbon deposits on my plugs between the $12 gallon of Quicksilver and the $6 gallon of Super Tech, and as much as I hate Wal-Mart their ST brand really amazed me. As far as Amsoil...they've been around for quite some time but you really don't hear of many people using their product. It may be a quality product but the price and lack of use amongst the general public always kept me away.

In my 6 gallon tank I dumped a pint of oil in and then added six gallons of gas to achieve the 50:1 ratio.
Well.. Mercury's web site does a good job of selling their products... I just want to be sure that I don't cause a problem because I'm too cheap to use good oil.. I'd rather pay a little more to protect the engine... you know, the old pay me now or pay me later thing. I run premium fuel in my IB/OB because it runs better. I know I don't have to use good fuel for the octane due to the affect oil has on the octane rating of the gas. My Pastor's engine came with a recommendation to run Amoco mid grade fuel because of an additive they put in that grade of gasoline, not for the octane...
All this, and more, will be taken into consideration guys... thanks very much

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Again, Hawk,I agree with MuddCatt....When I first got my rig,The previous owner had let the boat sit quite some time and rarely used it while in his "care".The oil and gas had seperated and I ended up using a hose and a coupla fishing weights to "vacuum" the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NightTrain said:
I use a longneck funnel;measure my oil,pour in funnel while "rinsing"the funnel out with a gallon or so of gas;remove the funnel and finish filling.I generally don't mix more than 32 oz./12 gal. at a time.repeat as necessary.
Hey, maybe I'll get lucky and the guy will have the owner's manual for the motor... yeah, right LOL... thanks bro...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts