2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
down to haynie cat 23/24 or stoner super skiff 22.6.

coming from a 23 foot hydrasports bay bolt

fish south louisiana terrebone parish redfish and trout.
50% time crossing open bay for 10 miles or so to get to islands to fish with 1-2 foot chop. wade fish 20% and 80% from boat once at island. can get shallow around island in some areas 12-18". most of bay 5-10 feet
50% of the time marsh fishing for redfish. often 1-2 feet deep and some ponds are 6-8"

moving away from bay bolt due to 12" draft and takes 2 feet to get up on plane

gonna try and go ride in them but looking for opinons/advice based on my needs.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,454 Posts
If you rig up one of those cats with a heavy motor, big riser console, and a bunch of aluminum work you won't improve on your draft or hole shot.... stay light! Commit to staying light if you truly want to change what you are doing now for those areas as you describe.

I would strongly recommend a tunnel v instead due to the vast open bays. Again staying light you can get a 10" draft and 12"-14" hole shot. But the ride across the bay will be much better handled in a tunnel v.

·
Cazadora
2,443 Posts
Have a 25 foot panga.. Listed with Texas Sportfishing Yacht Sales..I grew up fishing Delacroix.. It is a great multipurpose boat. I have always thought it would have been an awesome all around boat to fish down there with my dad.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think a bunch of the stoner super skiffs are rigged with 150-175hp and was told they perform ok
with that hp. That kind of falls inline with keeping it light as Sgrem suggest. 150hp lots cheaper than a 250hp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Been on the 23 cat in Baffin and it handled rough water ok, fished a 24 cat in Mansfield several times and it rode rough water ok too. Neither were great but ran shallow and could get up in a foot to 18". I agree with Grem, if you are looking at Haynie you can rig a Magnum to run pretty shallow and still handle rough water better than any cat.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
if you are looking at Haynie you can rig a Magnum to run pretty shallow and still handle rough water better than any cat.
This is spot on. I just ordered a magnum and set it up to float in 12” and get up in 18” or so depending on the bottom. I ran/rode in a couple of different magnums to see if what I wanted was possible first, and it was. And there’s not a lot you have to do to get these type of numbers as long as you don’t rig it tournament style with the console and accessories pushed towards the back and a big ole 350 or 400 Vrod hanging off the back. I went with a 300 Pro XS since it’s the same weight as a 250 and still 160lbs lighter than a 350 Vrod.

And no doubt about it, that magnum rides like a caddy. No cat will ever be able to do what it can in chop.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I became a fan of the Stoner when I tested one with a 175HP SHO and TRP lower unit. It was way more capable in shallow water than any Haynie cat I’ve been in. That being said, crossing 10 miles of open bay is not going to be fun in it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll add that I own a Shoalwater 23 Cat and it is not a fun ride on open water in more than chop. It is miserable when there are whitecaps on 2' plus waves. If you cross any kind of large open bay regularly without being able to run shoreline protection I'd get a V.

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,705 Posts
With the open water you're running i'd suggest going longer than the 23' for sure.. and like others have said look for a Mod V with a tunnel ... V will run open water much better.

If you weren't running open water then it'd be a different ball game. One option is opting for a 25' boat but it needs to be weighted properly... some of the 25' boats actually float skinnier than some of the shorter boats.. theres just more surface area to make it float even tho there's more weight. But has to be rigged light and properly layed out for weight distribution.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
If you weren't running open water then it'd be a different ball game. One option is opting for a 25' boat but it needs to be weighted properly... some of the 25' boats actually float skinnier than some of the shorter boats.. theres just more surface area to make it float even tho there's more weight. But has to be rigged light and properly layed out for weight distribution.
I've seen this myself, not only more capable in skinny water than some shorter boats but with the extra area giving it more buoyancy the motor doesn't squat the stern as bad on hole shots and you plane quicker and from shallower water ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts