2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get a nice pair of binos for Xmas. But theres so many which ones are gooduns. I dont know if some are better then others I do know theres a huge difference in prices. From $100-$3,000. I can assure you the one I get will be in the $200-$500 range. I like the smaller compact ones they have came out with and I want to stay with that style as well. So which brands are better Burris, Leupold, Bushnell, Nikon, Vortex, or Pentax? I would love to have a Leica, Steiner, Swarovski, or Zeiss but like I said I am firm with the price I am wanting to spend. Any help you can offer.

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,338 Posts
Buddy of mine just bought some 10x42 Nikons for around $265. Pretty good glass for the price range. I would rethink the compact sizes though. With smaller objective (front) lenses you lose a lot of critical light gathering ability right at the the BEST 2 times of the day. (first and last light). This is just me but I wouldn't go any smaller than 40mm objective lenses. They don't fit in your pocket but you will like the results better.

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCKS

As said above, Nikon optics are great glass in the Monark models.
Nikon Monarks in 10x42 or 12x42 can't be beat. They run from $250.00 to $350.00 depending on sales at your favorite stores. I have the 10x42's and compared to the top brands, the feild of veiw(width of area your veiwing) is about the only difference i can see and it's not worth another $500.00 to me to get another 30 feet of veiw width at over 200 yards...

·
Aggiewes
116 Posts
Dad got a set of Leopold Mojaves at Cabelas a couple of weeks ago. 10X42s were on sale for $350. Fantastic set of binocs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
binoculars

I have Nikon Monarch 12x42 and they are great. I was a little worried about low light viewing, but when I can't see my feeder after dark I can look through the binoculars and still see great. I think they retail for about $300

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just bought the Leopold Cascade's 10X42. 285 online. Used them this weekend and they blew away my old Nikon's. Highly recommend.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Check Cabela's Bargain Cave. They always have binos at discounted prices. I have a pair of Steiners from there that were around $300. I also have Nikon. I like the Steiners better.

·
Aggie Angler
3,795 Posts
I have the Nikon Monarch 10x42. I let the guy talk me out of the 12x42. I love my 10x42 but wish i had a little more power for looking longer distances. Now I have used some zeiss bino's and looking through them at night with only half a moon I could see clear as day. I think they were 10x42 but for now my monarchs work great!

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
I would agree with Fish. Spend a little extra and get the best you can, Zeiss is the cheaper of the ones you mentioned. Which ever you get, the largest objective and at least 10x is what I recommend. I have had a pair of Zeiss for the last 10 years, so I can't offer any advise about the other brands.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My wonderful wife is getting me a pair of the brunton epoch compact binos that have a variable focus from 8 to 15 power. Should be awesome for checkin out the deer.

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
I like my Minolta's, go to a camera store, that's where the birder's go. rs
Great point! Dont look over the birding bino's. They aren't cool looking camo but have great glass. I ended up buying a pair of Bushnell Bird Series from Gander Mountain in 10x42 that are brighter and more clear than my buddies Steiners and that is to his own admission.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Binocs

Buddy of mine just bought some 10x42 Nikons for around $265. Pretty good glass for the price range. I would rethink the compact sizes though. With smaller objective (front) lenses you lose a lot of critical light gathering ability right at the the BEST 2 times of the day. (first and last light). This is just me but I wouldn't go any smaller than 40mm objective lenses. They don't fit in your pocket but you will like the results better.
Most of the professional hunters I have been with ,use the 10x42...My son and I have followed their example with Leupold 10x42 and have been very satisfied.

·
Hold my beer.....
4,025 Posts
zeiss, swarovski, and steiners.....have all three and love them all! Go with the steiners for low price point and u won't be disappointed and u can get the steiners in your price range!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Do a search on Zen-Ray. The birder sites have lots of info on them, also the bottom link has tons of info on all bino's

They are a darn good glass for the money. I think they make them with schott glass. All my buddies that have the top end bino's(swarovski,steiners,etc) have looked thru mine and could not believe that they cost so little. I paid around $300 last year for a 10x43.

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=9

·
\../\../\../
939 Posts
I have had two pair of Steiners and absolutely love them. My brother accidently left one pair at the deer lease a couple of years ago and they were picked up by someone. I ended up with a pair of Jason's instead. The bad thing about a pair of expensive binocs, they get whahooed! I leave my Jason's in the hunting truck and they are always there when I come back! Luckily my wife bought me a new pair of Steiners . Now I'm paranoid about losing them!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replys I guess I'll go to Bass Pro and look through a bunch. Hopefully they carry alot of different brands. Looks like Leupold, Steiner, and Nikon was a big hit here thanks again!

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
HERE YOU GO

bass pro nikon monark 10x42 $319.99
leupold cascade 10x42 $399.95
cabelas nikon monark 10x42 $269.99 (sale)
leupold cascade 10x42 $369.99
academy nikon monark 10x42 $299.99
leupold cascade 10x42 $329.99
the wife wants a pair and i've been shopping. thought i'd pass it along.
the monarks are priced with the real tree camo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts