2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this question has been answered like hundred times but I'm looking for a reel that i can use in the saltwater. I dont' really want a shimano curado like everyone else. Which other baitcast reels have you guys used that held up well in saltwater. I was looking at the quatum accurist or daiwas?? I went to academy the other day and the guy at the fishing counter heavily recommended me the shimano citica. Has anyone every actually fished with the citica and how does it hold up ???

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought a citica and have never had any problems with the mechanics of it. I do think they are a little bulky and heavy compared to other models in their price range. I stepped out of the box about 2 years ago and bought an Abu Garcia Torno reel, and could not be more pleased. It is light, very low profile, and is as smooth as catsh*t. I take it to the local tackle shop about once every six or eight months and have it serviced. I will buy another one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
bb0i2 said:
...but I'm looking for a reel that i can use in the saltwater. I dont' really want a shimano curado like everyone else...
Why?

Recently, I purchased a baitcaster that was significantly different than my 200B - because it had a couple of features that the Curdo (and other Shimano baitcasters) lacked and was a reel specifically designed for Saltwater. However, I didn't buy it "just to be different" - my Curado 200B is still a killer reel and will last forever (almost forever, anyways).

Piggy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, if you want a really good reel for less money, go Diawa. I just made the switch myself and I absolutely love the Advantage from Diawa. It casts really well and the drag system is second to none. Give one a shot!

Regards,
Jimmie Dooms

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
I own a full range of reels....bottom line, they will only last as long as to how much care is given to them and how hard they are used. That said, the 200B is going to hard to beat in the same price range (JMO)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do you guys any places locally that still sell the curado 200b. I live in houston,texas

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
bb0i2 said:
do you guys any places locally that still sell the curado 200b. I live in houston,texas
I doubt you'll find anyone with any at a retail store. Ebay may come up with a few, but the majority will be used, IMO.

Kind Regards,
Capt. Jimmie

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
5500 c3 abu-garcia #1 in my book

over the years i have had alot of different kinds of reals but the ABU GARCIA 6500 c3 casts the best feels the best and does not hurt the pocket book like some other reels do--every one has there own favorite-- for different reasons-- but the real has to feel right in your hands-- and cast right--u gotta get the one that feels right --- please try that real--u wont be dissapointed--i own 4 wish i had more--3-- 5500--1--6500

justletmein said:
Because they're trendy? :p

On topic, I've had an Abu 6500c3 on all my trips to the salt for about the last 8 years and it's doing fine.

·
I am haunted by still waters.
1,660 Posts
justletmein said:
Because they're trendy? :p

On topic, I've had an Abu 6500c3 on all my trips to the salt for about the last 8 years and it's doing fine.
Trend that has been going on close to 15 years. Bought my first red Curado in the early 90's.

Salwater favs that you can purchase today:

Chronarch MG 50
Curado 100B
Calcutta 100B
Calais (Not a practical purchase, but incredible none the less)

IMHO of course, which is worth the the dull side of a penny.

GCB

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I have many of the Shimano reels and i am starting to think my Calcutta 150 is the best of them all. It's a friggin tank that has shown me nothing but success.

My Mg 50 is not doing so well. My Curados have all had bearings replaced and don't work 100%, but the Calcutta is a gem. Have some other Chronarchs in need of medical attention.

·
Healthy spine= tight lines
239 Posts
I agree the cu200 is by far the best reel ive ever used ading at least 10 to 20 yds to your casting distance and when your a wade fisherman that 10 yds could mean a differance in that big lunker thats up on the wall right now. if your worried about price its easy to find a good used one for 70 bucks on ebay(only twenty more than your average abu garcia)If your doing surf fishing the abu garcia fits you perfect and will get the job done for you because the surf is rough on reels but if your in the bays there is no competetor to the curado

·
Just trying to fish
74 Posts
3 years ago I picked up a used curado in a pawn shop for $40.00 and fell in love I had been fishing the garcia's prior to that. I gave all my abu's to my son and replaced them with the Shimano equivilants. I have several curados and and 3 calcuttas and love them but the cronarch is by far my fav. fits perfect, cast perfect, Great all around reel. Go Shimano you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
there are plenty of reels out there that are pretty good, and all of them will hold up if you are willing to take the time to maintain them.
As a family we have 3 zebco omegas, 1 shakespeare trion , 6- 200 curados, 2-100bs curados, 2 of the old gold chronarchs. I think that the fancier you get with a reel the more willing that you have to be to keep it properly maintained or it is not going to work like it should. Wipe them off after each use- DO NOT SOAK THEM IN WATER unless you are going to tear them down an clean them, put you a drop of oil on the bearings , and pawl/track will keep you perculating .

Good luck on whatever you decide, its almost a matter of personal preference.

·
Healthy spine= tight lines
239 Posts
quite a collection trout 250 wish i had that number of curados. in the works of acquiring a scorpion (japanese version of the curado) which is also another path to look down. Trout 250 is correct its all in a matter of confidence and preference theres your shimano group and your abu garcia group i have both but lean a little towards to shimano.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts