2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost an anchor recently in heavy current so had to get another one which didnt work so good (at all) in the mud bottom in the bay when the tide was moving pretty good. I read that a Mighty-Mite anchor holds good in the jetties without getting hung up. This suggests to me that some anchors are better for mud and sand, and other anchor designs might be better for rocky jetties. What is your experience? I don't want to carry around two anchors, but might need to. Which anchor is best for holding in sand and mud, and which design do you think is better for jetties? All comments are welcome!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anchor Problems

Man I have lost a couple of them this year. Jetties are heavily rocked so normal T Anchors get stuck I heard the ones that look like a J are good for out there. Each different surface on the bottom prefers a different anchor. Check out west marine they seriously have som of the best Anchors. that grab properly. Well good luck with this man. Merry Christmas and Happy New year.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I started useing a Mighty-Mite about 10 years ago after a Calcacieu (probably spelled wrong) Louisiana fishing trip. This is what all the guides were useing. This anchor held in the wiers with extreme tidal movements and in the mud flats.
I don't think mine has ever slipped. Best anchor I have found. I think there are 3 sizes and the one I bought is the middle size. The barbs are heavy aluminum and designed to bend so you don't lose the anchor if it gets stuck. Then you can bend it back close to the original shape. I have 1/2" nylon rope for the anchor line.
Works for me. Around $75 +- some at Academy.
Good luck.

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
i HAD a mighthy might for the jetties. It slipped between the rocks and it was all over. I have been using one of my freebie danforths type from boyds. I have hooked a few on the bottom and dragged em up.

The MM works on shell to a point. When the winds get higher than 15 -20 it will drag.,

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
one anchor for all boyles! funny people mention the mighty mite. i was the first to bring those anchors to houston! i new the builder. sold them at the holder show for 20 bucks! lol

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not for jetties, mud sand or shell the best is a Scott Isabel danfoth style anchor all stainless with 5 ft. of stainless chain is the ultimate. Will hold anchored sideways in pretty stiff winds, all the guides and tourist that know about them use them in the Rockport area pm me and I will give you his phone no.

·
Registered
87 Posts
anchor

just thought i would give you another one to look at ,check out the digger anchor i bought mine at caballos they have three diffirent size and they are break- a way anchors i've had it hung up several times and was able to free it up each time.just my thought.:flag:

·
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
15,196 Posts
The "Boyles " variety is the best. U can purchase one at Boyds One Stop 409-945-4001 next to the TC Dike. I probably have a danforth variety here cheap....I may have a heavy Boyles anchor here too. Gotta ck. for sure. I'll look and see and post later. If interested......PM

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
mighty mite is all i have used for last ten years. i also went over to big lake and i was the only boat without a mighty mite. i got one and it has been great on two boats. you do have to watch out for the sharp ends when on floor of boat.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I use a mighty mite and a danforth. I got about three years out of the mighty mite before a couple of the prongs snapped from bent and rebent too many times. Its the only anchor I use at the jetty. There must be thousands of old anchors at the POC jetty. This past year I snagged six others and pulled them. MM will drag in sand though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been looking for the right anchor and found this post. Ended up getting a Spike and a drop-n-stay. Have not had any problems since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts