2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the Rockets may be giving up a great player in Rudy Gay, but they are getting a good veteran Battier and getting rid of Stromile Swift. Now, we need a solid point, Jamal Tinsley maybe. And with this being Carrol Dawson's last offseason, I wouldnt be surprised if he pulled the trigger on a Stojakovic. Mike James is a must too.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
I understood the Reggie Bush / Mario Williams decision, but this one has me scratching my head. Then again, I know a lot more about football than basketball.

·
Banned
2,070 Posts
The rockets need offense, they will not get that in battier. They must have somthing up there sleeve concerning some free agents. because if this is it they do not improve at all. they need a guard, luther head is not getting it done, They could have kept rudy gay. There are some good free agents out there like jason terry fom dallas, josh howard from dallas, small foward from sacramento, i forget his name, and many more...

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rvj said:
The rockets need offense, they will not get that in battier. They must have somthing up there sleeve concerning some free agents. because if this is it they do not improve at all. they need a guard, luther head is not getting it done, They could have kept rudy gay. There are some good free agents out there like jason terry fom dallas, josh howard from dallas, small foward from sacramento, i forget his name, and many more...
I agree in that they need offense. Terry and Howard are untouchable. Bonzi Wells the guy you're talking about from Sacramento is going to be too expensive probably. Mike James wants to play here. He is instant offense. And they will have to do a sign and trade because of the mid-level exception. Everyone they acquired has 3 pt range which is what we needed the most, even Novak, the guy from Marquette. Rudy is going to be a a great player don't get me wrong, but we have a pretty good 3 right now (T-Mac) and Rudy Gay would be out of position if he played at the shooting guard. Battier now can guard the good shooting guards and small forwards and give McGrady a break on defense. Battier is also a great rebounder and shoots high percentage from 3. However, he is a veteran, meaning that the Rockets are definitely not in the rebuilding process, but a run for the Championship in the next 4-5 yrs.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
They need rebounding and a big body opposite Yao as much as they need scoring. If Yao and TMac can get on the floor at the same time they can't double both of them. I like the Battier trade myself... add Mike James and we may have something.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I like the trade....why? We got rid of Stromile. That's an extra 20 million bucks we have to play with now and we don't have to watch him stand around all season. When we got him I thought it was an okay pick-up, but the bottom line is that guy is the picture perfect example of an overpaid spoiled althlete. Now he is Memphis's problem.
I think if we can stay healthy we will be just fine.

12lb

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,918 Posts
Shane Battier is a mediocre basketball player. He is supposed to be a good defender though. The Rockets sorely needed a long, athletic wing player and failed to add one. I am not sold on Gay, but we should have gotten more in return. We do have a 4.2 mil trade exception as well as a mid-level exception so we are not done. I would love to see us add Mike James and Bonzi Wells.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
One of the better drafts for the Rockets....maybe. At least they didn't get some never heard of before (or since) euros. I'd have to say it has been a good draft.

And the fella they got from Marquette can flat out shoot the rock.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sura

Even though its a long shot, we need Bob Sura to come back healthy. I think we only have 5 million to spend so we're pretty limited on who we can get. James is a possiblity. He'll have to take less than he could get elsewhere. I think Battier is a good addition and good riddance to Stromile.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,918 Posts
sura is history. We will probably bring over Spanoulis from the Greek league. We own his rights and he is supposed to be a very good player in the mold of Ginobili.

·
Registered
226 Posts
phi471 said:
Well, the Rockets may be giving up a great player in Rudy Gay, but they are getting a good veteran Battier and getting rid of Stromile Swift. Now, we need a solid point, Jamal Tinsley maybe. And with this being Carrol Dawson's last offseason, I wouldnt be surprised if he pulled the trigger on a Stojakovic. Mike James is a must too.
I believe Stojakovic is out of range for us as far as cap room goes. Mike James is a STRONG possibility but he has to accept a little less money to be the mid level exemption.

·
Big Shot Spicy Man
221 Posts
the word on Sportsline yesterday afternoon was that Rudy Gay blew it at a workout for the Timberwolves.....screwed up on the court and then pulled some kind of stunt in the locker room that none of the writers will talk about publicly----but the Sportsline guys said that most people(NBA mgmt) had Gay at 1 thru 3 before that and then he dropped like a rock....that is why he was still around at 8.....having heard all that it just reminds me how much we DON'T know....same with the Reggie Bush situation,,,,there is still some talk about "issues" that Bush may have.....you never know...but in this day and age, it's rare to find a player that is without issues....

·
Registered
813 Posts
Anyone who has played basketball knows you cannot win with 5 scorers on the floor. Most championship teams are comprised of two all stars, a solid point guard and two role players. Battier is as solid a role player as you will find. He will make others around him better. Sort of the anti-Catino Mobley, who would dribble the ball until the air was gone. If they add in a 3-4 who can score they will be fine. Key is keeping your two all stars healthy.

Miami Heat - Shaq - All star, Wade - All Star
Haslem and Morning are the role players - rebounding, blocking shots, defense
Add one guard
Walker was the scoring 3-4

Old Chicago Bulls
MJ, Pippen - all stars
Rodman, cartwright - role players
Add a guard

Detroit Pistons don't apply - they were just balanced however they did not have an high end all star to carry them when they needed the help, ala D.Wade this year.

06/07 Rockets - 54 - 30
4-5 seed

My .02 cents

·
Banned
2,070 Posts
The rockets will not make the playoffs with what they have including battier. They had better take atvantage of the free agent market and make some moves. Most teams that have made the playoffs and advanced past the first round are loaded with free agents, players who are willing to play a specific roll for the better of the team. And these teams have a solid vision that does not consist of standing around on the three point line hoping that tracie might pass the ball and these teams also have solid defense.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rvj said:
The rockets will not make the playoffs with what they have including battier. They had better take atvantage of the free agent market and make some moves. Most teams that have made the playoffs and advanced past the first round are loaded with free agents, players who are willing to play a specific roll for the better of the team. And these teams have a solid vision that does not consist of standing around on the three point line hoping that tracie might pass the ball and these teams also have solid defense.
The rockets are easily a playoff team if T-Mac and Yao are on the floor together. It's really this easy... when November 1st comes around who is going to help your team more.. Shane Battier or a 19 yr old who has underachieved and shy-ed away from taking big shots. Sura is pretty much done and we will definitely miss his toughness. If we can acquire Bonzi Wells and Mike James we will definitely be contenders. I don't care what you spurs and mavs fans say. You have to draft/trade for/acquire for your division. The Rockets could not match up well at all against phoenix or Dallas. Now we can because of Battier's ability to play 3 positions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts