2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think anyone will ever forget what they were doing or where they were at on this tragic day, three years ago.

I was actually a married man when the cowards took down the towers. I remember it seemed like a bad dream.

God Bless all the fallen and their families. Today will be especially difficult for them.

I'll be on the bike today with some great friends having a great time but my thoughts and prayers will be with those grieving lost loved ones taken from this earth by inhuman, immoral cowards.

Rex

·
Registered
136 Posts
Exactly

You hit it on the head!Made you care more for our Fellow Americans and the our way of life!

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Welp, I had just worked a weekend, much like I am today but being that it was a weekday, I took my comp day to catch up on some much needed rest. Anyways, I was still in bed listening to the birds as they gently woke me up and my phone rang. It was my Dad and his first words were "Have you seen what happened?" I replied "NO" and turned on the TV to see the coverage of the the first plane that had hit the WTC.

The second WTC plane, Pentagon and Flight 93 had not yet occured.

As I sat there glued to the TV, I watched as the second plane came zooming into the picture and slammed into the other WTC building. I continued watching amid reports of more planes being hijacked, a reported plane crash in PA which we all know what that was and the Pentagon crash.

It was obvious then that our World was being rocked to the core and my worst fears had come true, but when was it going to stop. You see as a military man who has lived overseas I knew something was going to happen, while I didn't know when, I did know it was just a matter of time.. It's too bad that as a country, we often forget that our civil liberties sometimes must take a back seat to our personal safety to maintain the safety of our nation. Unfortunately it normally takes people dying before they even realize a change is necessary.. :(

God Bless all the Families and God Bless America!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was sitting at my desk at home , working on some auctions .. When my mother-in-law called and told me something just happened in NY .. I had a small TV on my desk at that time and turned it on ... After the 2nd plane hit and the towers fell - When we really figured out what was going on there - I was overwhelmed and wept like a baby and didn't know a soul there .... 2 years ago - I was in the hospital with my wife - Our son Charlie was born on Sept 11th , the very next year ... Happy B-day Son ..

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Walking off the football field after morning practice. Another coach yelled out the door the towers had been bombed!!! Didn't know the full details until later. I felt just like I did when JFK was shot....Stunned.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was on my way to Univ Houston around 45 and 610.

At school not one teacker out of 5 said a word about it the entire day.
Kinda erie but what do you do.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,346 Posts
Sitting in the dentist chair getting my teeth cleaned. We were all listening to it on the radio trying to figure out what was going on. It wasn't until after I had left and was on my way to work that I learned it was terrorists.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
I was "home alone" as Miss Pam was up at the home place caring for her terminally ill sister. I had day surgery on my left hand that morning to correct a "trigger-finger" condition. I came home by cab some time after noon and as I lay on the couch, groggy from the anesthesia, and dozing in and out, I thought I was watching a movie on TV. When I noticed that a news caster (can't remember now which one it was) had tears in his eyes and that other people around him were visibly upset, I began to realize that some thing was wrong, something was horribly wrong and that this was no movie.

I will never forget the awful feelings of sorrow, helplessness and rage as I laid there, alone, my left arm as dead as fence post. I couldn'nt fully regain my senses for several more hours yet but I knew what had happened and I felt a very empty, helpless sense of loss. I knew that our country would never be the same after that day. Pam called me later that evening and we talked for nearly 3 hours on the phone.

Those Godless monsters had obviously never heard the saying..."Mess with the bull and get the horn." Well they messed with the bull. They also got a taste of the horn. I never cease to be amazed at the worng-minded people that are produced in some cultures around the world.

I offer this prayer :
God bless and keep the United States of America. The best country on earth and the best people that have ever lived. May we be granted the strength and the resolve to contend with the powerful forces of evil that struggle to destroy our world. May our leaders be granted the wisdom and courage to see us through. And, above all, dear Lord, please watch over our brave young men and women who serve to keep our country and our world free. Keep them from harm and bless them with your mercy and protect them that they may fulfill their mission safely, and return home, unharmed, to the loved ones that patiently wait at home. Please grant these waiting families and friends the forebearance and understanding to cope until their soldiers return to them. Please give us all the strength to endure and to survive...AMEN

·
Registered
827 Posts
So what exactly are you saying the crash in PA was. Are you speaking of the possibility that it was shot down by one of our fighters? Very well could be. I saw a program on the history channel the other day about the hit on the pentagon.....very interesting. It showed time lapse photography at the time of impact.............there was no plane to be seen. Even at 500 mph a full size jet liner would have been easy to see. It also pointed out that there was no plane wreckage found..........definitely makes me wonder. They were theorizing that it was actually a missile of some sort that hit the pentagon, and they made a good argument that it was something besides an aircraft. I guess we'll probably never know all that actually transpired on that fateful day. God Bless Our Troops.

jeff

ReelWork said:
Welp, I had just worked a weekend, much like I am today but being that it was a weekday, I took my comp day to catch up on some much needed rest. Anyways, I was still in bed listening to the birds as they gently woke me up and my phone rang. It was my Dad and his first words were "Have you seen what happened?" I replied "NO" and turned on the TV to see the coverage of the the first plane that had hit the WTC.

The second WTC plane, Pentagon and Flight 93 had not yet occured.

As I sat there glued to the TV, I watched as the second plane came zooming into the picture and slammed into the other WTC building. I continued watching amid reports of more planes being hijacked, a reported plane crash in PA which we all know what that was and the Pentagon crash.

It was obvious then that our World was being rocked to the core and my worst fears had come true, but when was it going to stop. You see as a military man who has lived overseas I knew something was going to happen, while I didn't know when, I did know it was just a matter of time.. It's too bad that as a country, we often forget that our civil liberties sometimes must take a back seat to our personal safety to maintain the safety of our nation. Unfortunately it normally takes people dying before they even realize a change is necessary.. :(

God Bless all the Families and God Bless America!

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
I had just crossed I-45 on BW8 when Granato on 610 AM said a plane had flown into one of the towers. I thought back to just after WW II when a plane had flown into the Empire State Building. I knew it had to be an accident. Must be some poor weather up there today I thought. When I heard of the 2nd one, I remembered a hijacker who took over a Frenchie plane demanded the pilot fly into the Eiffel Tower, but he refused. Then I knew... they had gotten their own pilots.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I was at work, one of the guys had a little radio in the shop. We heard that a plane hit one of the towers. I thought it was probably a little prop plane, but I went into the break room and turned on the TV. Within seconds I saw the second plane hit the other tower. It was at that moment that I realized our country was under attack by terrorist.

When the plane hit the pentagon me and the general manager discussed sending everyone home for the day for fear that our city could be next.

I remember being numb and only thinking about those people in the towers which at the time was thought to be as many as 50,000 people. Until my wife called. She told me the school had let out early. When she picked up our daughter our little girl told her story of what happened that day.

The words of a six year old: “Our teacher said that there was an emergency and that we needed to practice our emergency drills. We all got under our desks and put our hands over our head.”

When my wife told me this, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I then realized this had not just impacted a nation, it had reached all the way out to our children. And it filled me with rage.

That day changed me. Since then when ever I read or see anything that is patriotic, whether it’s our military or the start spangled banner or old glory waving in the wind I get a lump in my throat.

:flag:

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,077 Posts
I was over in the 4th ward, trying to make life a little better for some fellow Americans, by building and planting a community vegetable garden.

I was with about 50 airline folks so we were all initially bummed thinking it was "just" an airplane crash. By the time the 2nd one hit we were all crushed. We had about 15 folks in town from Newark that ended up having to rent a van to drive home.

It was a long day trying to locate several pilot friends who were flying that day then many, many phone calls to all our family in NY. We lost 2 good friends in the Towers, 1 cop and 1 who worked for Cantor-Fitz.

I still haven't been able to bring myself to visit Ground-Zero. I was at the original ground breaking for the WTC as a kid, watched them go up & come down, and still can't believe the towers and that many folks could vanish that quickly.

R.I.P. Billy Gardener and all the others.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where were You

I had had heart surgery and was getting the grandson
ready to go to day care when I turned on the TV and
saw the First Tower Smoking. Thinking it could have
been an accident(how I don't know) when the picture
showed the second plane hitting the second tower live.

Then I knew it was no accident and that we were being
attacked.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had just gotten out of a Physics lab and decided to skip Diff-e-Q. I walked out of the building to head home and saw hundreds of people gathered around a construction workers truck, with all the doors open. I walked closer and the first thing I heard was Dan Rather saying "America is under attack." I stayed there for about an hour just listening to the reports before heading home to watch it on TV.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Three years ago

I was in the UK at a meeting - scheduled to come home on the 12th. Someone interrputed the meeting to tell us what had happenned - two planes had hit the WTC and one tower had collapsed - and we took a small break. It wasn't until I got to the hotel that evening - about 1PM East Coast time - that I understood the devestation. It is difficult to describe the loneliness of sitting alone in a hotel room and seeing the attacks. The only way I could communicate with my wife was by e-mail for two days.

Needless to say I was stuck in the UK until the next Saturday. To top it off, my mother in law died on the 12th. I was scrambling to get home! This was literally one of the first flights into the US out of the UK once they opened the airspace. I had been on a flight on Friday that was stopped on the ground when the did not open the airspace.

During the intervening three days, I had total strangers come up to me - when they heard my accent - and say how sorry they were at what had happenned. The interesting part was that as I talked with them, many of these Brits were more personally tied to the attacks than me. They had friends or relatives working in NYC.

I finally got a flight to Houston on Saturday the 15th - glad to be going home. The flight was about 60% full - but everyone was very reserved and some were outright panicked at having to fly.

One moving point was as we crossed into US airspace over NY state, the pilot came over the PA and announced that were now "home" - in US airspace. Still kinda moving to remember that point. Never had a better flight home!

Remember that the fight against terror started that day on United 93 over Pennsylvania, and continues with the courageous service of our men and women in the armed forces.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I was working at a superfund site and came into the trailer that was onsite to pick up some supplies when I saw everyone staring at the t.v that was on, jokingly I told everyone to stop watching t.v and get back to work (I had no idea what had happened) one dude chirped up and said "look man, a plane crashed into the WTC". I didnt think much of it, as it was an unfortunate occurance, maybe someone had a heart attack and crashed or something until the 2nd plane came along and WHAM........my heart sunk......and sunk even more when we all watched the Towers collapse. I wanted to go home but had to finishe the days work in a zombie like state. I was almost in tears that night when we watched the news and the poor innocent people who had to die, but the messed up thing was they had to choose which way, jump or burn.

This is to everyone: Remember the following days of that horrible day when it seemed like the whole country was embracing each other? Everyone was nice to each other, kind and willing to help out in any way....what happened to those days that followed? Cant we be like that all the time?

:flag:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was on a flight from Toronto to Dallas, scheduled to arrive in Dallas at 9:30am. The plane made a sharp left, and landed in Memphis. The plane sat on the runway for 2 hours. While sitting there, my dad called my cell and told me what happened. After letting everyone off the plane, the airport bars were packed with people watching the TV. 5 minutes later, the loud speaker in the airport instructed everyone to evacuate. A day I'll never forget.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
It was busy day in surgery for us but we happened to be having a bite to eat in the lounge when it all was going down. Saw it all and will never forget any bit of it. The first person that we thought of was Osama. Some of us had kept up with world news and figured that he was the only one with the nutz to do something like that.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
I was working.

I had my walkman on listening to KLOL. Eddie the "boner" Sanchez, (Brian Shannon) had a tv on in the studio and he made the announcment. I was working in a small room in the back doing some testing that is noisy. I had the door closed. I came out of the room so I could hear better. Before I realize it, everyone was looking at me real weird. Like they should call an ambulance. They thought I was having a heart attact or something. I didnt know what was happening. I assumed a little cessna or something hit the building. When he announced a second plane hit, I knew its wasnt an accident. Then I dropped my earphones down around my neck and announced, were at war. Weve been attacked.

No work was done the rest of the day. We all turned our radios on to different stations and listened. When news came, we shouted what we heard, and everyone changed to that station. Only one of my co workers really wasnt affected. He is from El Salvador, and I guess thats SOP over there.

That day changed my life forever. Ill never forget, and I want Bin Ladens head. And I want it now!

God bless America.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts