2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
All play, no work!!!
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place from Houston (Galveston, Freeport, Matagorda) to shark fish from a boat off of the beach. Looking to target 5-6 footers. What is the best depth, techniques(drift or anchor), bait, etc.........

·
Registered
496 Posts
From the Galveston jetties to a few miles past the jetties is great this time of year. I'm sure the other places are good too, I just don't fish those areas. We just drift with unweighted menhaden. You can fish some of the baits under a balloon for variety. We usually don't fish on the bottom because the Atlantic Sharpnoses are down there and can be pests. Look for birds or shrimpers working. If you don't see any activity just find a spot and start drifting.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Night Trout said:
Whats wrong with the sharpnose,are they not good to eat?
Hey Night Trout, IMHO I think sharpnoses are pretty darn good. I've had it both fried and grilled. You just have to carefully prep the shark prior to getting home (bleeding it, gutting it, removing blood veins, icing, etc....). I usually soak the fillets overnight in regular salt water to remove any leftover gamey pissy smell/taste...but if you prep it right you don't have to soak it. Add Tony Cachere's seasoning, black pepper, & fire up the grill, I always baste it w/ a little bbq sauce b4 pulling off the grill......

BTW, I only keep my sharks if we're having a big BBQ, I usually practice CPR (catch, photograph, release)

good luck, Rodney

·
Team Grizzly
665 Posts
I've just started shark fishing and im not really sure how to prep them. I was told to cut the tail off and let them bleed. Which shark is the best to eat? I have a little 14' jon boat so it's a little scarry bring a mad shark on board! I usually fish from the beach for that reason. LoL

·
Registered
475 Posts
Night Trout said:
I have a little 14' jon boat so it's a little scarry bring a mad shark on board! I usually fish from the beach for that reason. LoL
Hey Night Trout, if you think a 14' jon boat isn't safe enough, check out Jolly Roger & crew catching big sharks and going for sleigh rides:D ....http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=70959

Rodney

·
Team Grizzly
665 Posts
WOW that was pretty cool. Now that ive seen that its time to suck it up. Im hoping to go on monday. Just got a nem trolling motor yesterdsay, was thinking about SLP.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My comment about avoiding atlantic sharpnose was because he asked about catching 5-6 foot sharks. If you fish on the bottom an atlantic sharpnose(which are usually 3 feet or so) will usually get the bait before a blacktip, spinner or bull.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.