2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is mainly for the "wise men." You know who you are. My father-in-law and I will be looking for somewhere to fish on Thursday but don't know where to go. Of course, we'd love to hit up WRC for some whites but according to SS's report last week, they're only catchin a few small males in there. Do you think after this rain we're having today and tomorrow, there might be some big cats up the creeks? I know Kickapoo wouldn't be any good based on Lone Eagle's post. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!!

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Looking at the weather forecast I would say it is slim and poor.
The dam is still at 13,100 cfs.
Kickapoo is unusually muddy as well a WRC.
Sleet and rain will cetrtainly have some wind so the big waters will not be very comfortable.
Maybe the crappie under the bridge at Conroe?
Maybe a recon-in-force up to the lock & dam or Bedias Creek.
But my preference will be some hot toddy, my wooly slippers and a warm seat in front of the football games. At 71 I don't get as mad at those fish in the winter time.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions SB. I have to take what I can get with the new baby boy around. Momma won't let me go as much so I have to go when I can. I'm sure we'll figure out something.

·
Saved by the Grace of God
4,020 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about heading up to the lake house on WRC tomorrow afternoon and fishing Thursday, but it looks to be cold on Thursday and the creeks will probably be muddied up. Probably will do the same thing and sit in the warm house and watch some great American football.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
I am thinking of going to Jessie Jones Park mid-morning Thursday to try the whites. Probably too early and high water, but still will be fun casting around.

I'l post a report on one of the JJ threads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I say pick another option...caught several limits of crappie a week ago on a north end creek, tried Sunday, water was muddy, only cuagt 6 keepers. I'm going hunting, i think fishing is out up the creeks till the water clears....just my opinion.

·
Registered
14,437 Posts
It's catfish time, the muddy water will make whites or crappie a tough proposition, but the cats like it.
If you do try for whites at JJ, you might try using crushed minnows on bottom with light tackle. Or even better rake some crawfish out of the ditch and peel them and fish them with light tackle on bottom for white bass.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boy, that brings back some memories. When I was a kid, my brothers and I would rake crawfish out of the ditches and make them fight each other in the middle of the road. Back then, only 20 something years ago, we didn't have to worry about traffic or someone snatchin you up. I think I'll try some big cats in that muddy water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts