2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If no one wants to go, can someone tell me where to give it a try?

I want to catch anything. I would like to catch shark of course but do not have a yak, so trout, reds, or anything else is fine.

If someone wants to go give me a call on my cell at 512-848-2240

Is the water always that calm, like in the pics of the truck just posted that's in the water?

I would love to yak out in that.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You wanna catch some sharks???? Take the ferry across to boliver to the n. jetties, walk out as far as you can or wanna go (its pathed) get some shad on the way out and throw cut shad on either bay rods or whatever rods you have. Ive taken my son fishin here and theres always little 2-3 footers hangin around theyre a blast on light tackle. Same place, you can float some live scrimps or finger mullet in hopes of a nice slot or bull red or trout theres the chance for macks too. Thats an easy place to get to if your not to familiar with the G.Bay complex and where to fish. Also, the fingers that stick out off the seawall can produce some fish at the right times.

·
Registered
56 Posts
High Island

Big Cat, a large majority of this board will probably be arround the high island and San Luis Pass areas this weekend. Most people fish for many different things, but noticing people on the beach fishing for sharks is easy just look for the yak's and big rigs. Most people are very nice and always willing to help out. Make a trip and you'll come back with some friends and lots to think about until your next time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it heavily fished Brady? How long are the jetties?

Are they like the jetties in port A?

I think I will try that. Will I be able to cast far enough or do I need a yak? And is it better the farther out you go?

Thanks much..

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Well, saturdays can be kinda crowded (especially this weekend) but if you get there early enough its not so bad. The Jetties are not like P.A, there about a mile long (maybe a bit more). You dont need a yak just cast out as far as you can. Typically the futher you get out the better but as always, its not always the case. Check out the pic, as you can see Im not far out at all. We caught sharks this size all day, it was pretty fun to see an 8 year olds face when he pulls one in.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One side better than the other? and are the jetties pointed the right way so if there is a South wind I'll be able to ballon a bait out?

Did you see any larger sharks caught at all or any big runs?

Thanks again ..

Oh and how much is the ferry?

·
Registered
213 Posts
hey Bigcat, you from Austin? 512 is Austin area code, right?

when are coming down here? i might do some surf fishing on tuesday, 9-7-04.

the N. Jetties is a good place to fish. surfside and high island are very good.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Bigcat said:
One side better than the other? and are the jetties pointed the right way so if there is a South wind I'll be able to ballon a bait out?

Did you see any larger sharks caught at all or any big runs?

Thanks again ..

Oh and how much is the ferry?
The side with the scattered rocks is the best, the jetties face in a s.e direction but Im not too up to date on ballon fishing. I havent seen any larger sharks caught due to the people who are typicaly out there are fishing with dead shrimp and have no idea on how to catch something like that,but Im sure theyre there.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
"...trout, reds, or anything else is fine...."

Bigcat said:
If no one wants to go, can someone tell me where to give it a try?

I want to catch anything. I would like to catch shark of course but do not have a yak, so trout, reds, or anything else is fine.

If someone wants to go give me a call on my cell at 512-848-2240

Is the water always that calm, like in the pics of the truck just posted that's in the water?

I would love to yak out in that.
They are catching up to 50 per night (the reports from this last week) bull reds on each of the Gal. piers on mullet and cut shad (Menhadden). Several sightings of big schools of bulls have been seen from these piers according to the Houston Chronical. I have seen this before and it's not for the faint hearted to be one of the ones of 12 to 15 people who hook-up at the same time. If SLP Pier was completed, I'd be there now. Good Luck, CF?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts