2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a running but wrecked bike to make a Bobber Chopper out of. I'd like a HD Sportster or Kawasaki Vulcan Classic(because of its soft tail) to start with.

Does anyone know of a place in Texas that sells wrecked bikes? Or if someone has a used but running scratched and dented bike shoot me a PM.

I'd like to have a good winter shop project and am getting the riding fever again.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
bslittle79 said:
I'm looking for a running but wrecked bike to make a Bobber Chopper out of. I'd like a HD Sportster or Kawasaki Vulcan Classic(because of its soft tail) to start with.

Does anyone know of a place in Texas that sells wrecked bikes? Or if someone has a used but running scratched and dented bike shoot me a PM.

I'd like to have a good winter shop project and am getting the riding fever again.
Why would you start your project with a wrecked bike?

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
big john o said:
Why would you start your project with a wrecked bike?
Because I'm going to build my own custom exhaust, custom fenders, custom handle bars, custom rear suspension, possible new tank, and other things as I go along and then new paint. Why buy a new bike to do this? Or why buy a good condition bike and have to strip it down and throw away or worry about selling parts?

Basically I'm looking for a bike with a good frame, running motor and trans, working brakes and forks. And since I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on a toy I'm looking to get something cheap. So I can play with it and won't feel like I'm throwing money away. And most custom bikes have no resale value.

I've found a few bikes that are around 10 plus years old and have been laid down for a few thousand. But they are a few thousand miles away. I'm not looking for a bike that has a bent frame or bent forks, etc.

I also found a bike that some guy got mad at his girlfriend and took a hammer and beat it up. New tank, fenders, and handle bars and it's ready. But it's at a dealer and they want too much for it because they also want to fix it up.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I woudn't recomend buying a "wrecked" bike for a custom project because if there is damage to the frame you will not know until the bike is dissasembled. You may want to check your local paper, greensheet, cycle trader, etc. to find a used bike that fits your budget and preference of style. I would concentrate on your engine first, since it will be the most expensive and most important part of the project. There are several salvage yards around town that can help you with used parts but will not sell the frame do to transfer of title issues. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts