2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to salt water fishing and I am looking for some new spots to try out. The only spot I have fished is east bay but it is a long run from eagle point. I am looking for something closer. An suggestions would help.

·
Team Grizzly
667 Posts
Dickenson Bayou is pretty good at night also you might want to try moses lake. Right outside eagle point you have todds dump and redfish Island. Hope that helps also try a topspot map.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Suggest to read allot of these reports. You will see some patterns. Allot of the success depends on the time of day and the tides, as well as other influences such as moon, temp. and barometric pressure, and of course, bait movement! Granted many reports do not lend to much detail, but at least you got some clues. I know some dynamite spots I have found on my own by studying bottom contours, and also I have learned by buddies and guides. However, these spots will not pan out every time and thats why patterns are important to understand. The best fishing is part luck and allot of understanding the water system that you engage. As for myself at this time, its tough fishing the summer, and the fall/ spring, and even winter is much easier. However, quality fish are caught everyday, and sometimes in very good numbers for our lowly Galveston Bay System. Its not that this place does not hold fish, its just more difficult to tap into unless you learn its ways. Personally this time of year I will fish nights, on structures, with tides moving. I will drive the extra distance to the SLP Pass, and lastly those Berkely Gulp Shrimps are killers, especially when live shrimp is not available!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input!!

Thanks to all that replied. I have grown up fishing Fresh water and just recently started fishing Salt, so i am trying to figure out tides, moon, and how they effect the fish. Any help on gereral Salt fishing rules would also help. Thanks again.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,980 Posts
05anthra said:
.....I am new to salt water fishing.....
If you are new to saltwater fishing, I recommend hiring a guide a few times. You can learn a LOT on one trip and it's best to try trips in different seasons so you learn the patterns. If you need help finding one, send me a PM.

·
The fishing Jesus
542 Posts
Tis not as much about catching fish as just enjoying the water.

If you happen upon a spot that looks interesting to YOU, fish it...

T/D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Todd's Dump Area couldn't be any closer to you. Free-line croaker from now till summer and have fun. I use artificials now but miss using live croaker sometimes.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Bait...Bait...Bait. If theres bait there will be fish.
Pretty much. If I were you and wanted to spend as little money possible finding good spots I would do 3 things (or at least one):

1) Buy a texas hook n line fishing map. $10-$25. You can get them from academy or wal mart. It will give you key areas to fish and wadable walk in spots.

2) Subscribe to texassaltwaterfishingmagazine.com's e magazine. It's pretty cheap I think I paid a one time fee of $30 for a subscription but you can access an archive of previous magazines from your computer. You can go look at months past articles written by fishing guides to determine patterns. Once you figure out what the pattern is for the month you want to fish you can pick a spot, walk in and start looking for bait.

3) Download google earth. Figure out the pattern and pick spots with that pattern. i.e. shell, deep water access, mud, grass, oyster reefs, sand bottoms, certain areas and bodies of water, etc.

Always look for bait and if you don't see it leave immediately unless you are certain the fish are holding there. Things you are looking for are jumping mullet, rafted mullet schools, menhaden or shad jumping, clutters of ripples in the water aka nervous bait, birds diving, birds perched next to structure, structure, drop offs, color changes and most importantly slicks. If you cast in and around this stuff your chances of catching fish improve ten fold. When I first started I wanted specific spots from other people but the more I fished them the less I wanted to fish them. Even though I caught big sized fish out of them it didn't mean anything to me and I felt pretty worthless at the end. People value the things they work for and honestly you going out and finding your own spots will make you feel a lot better and will improve your fishing skills x1000 so that you can find even BETTER spots. Remember, the fun in fishing is finding the spots aka the journey and catching the fish you are looking for from them. A lot of anglers will get mad at you for asking for specific spots, but I don't really care. I just understand that said person is at a certain stage of their journey and I respect that stage because I was once there. There are probably people who are a lot better than me who are still in that stage and probably never leave it which to me is pretty sad. They are missing out. Just a heads up in case people give you flak for asking for spots.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts