2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
might be headed down to South Padre for a weekend vacation with the fam and was wonderin where i can wet a line and get into some good fish. i will be boatless. where do i go and what do i use.. i fish the galveston/ freeport area such as the san luis pier often. same style/bait/ and approach? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Spi

There are no piers on the gulf side of SPI. You can try The jetties at Isla Blanca Park, or make the drive to the Boca Chica jetties. Same styles work, but the species you catch will be different, diven the time of year. I have caught mangrove snapper, gag grouper, specs, reds, and shark all in the same day off the jetties. i have also caught snook, bonita, and kings at various timmes as well.
If the surf is your thing, drive down thebeach to get away from the crowd and you should get into some fish. I was down there a few weeks go, and caught a nice hammerhead, and a good sized jack.

Good luck, you are in for a treat.

·
88 Ag
6,229 Posts
On the SPI side (right of the bridge) there is a spot right next to the coast guard station towards the jetties that you can wade. I believe there are signs saying you can't wade past this point towards the coast guard but toward the jetties is fine.

Another is at the jetty pocket. You will be fishing from the bank, but if you go to the end of the pocket closest to the bay (away from the jetties) you will see 2 or 3 covered picnic tables. Fish from the bank that runs in the north/south direction. Not 30 feet off of the bank is a sand bar that has a gut running between the bank and the sand bar. The water out in the pocket is pretty deep. DO NOT TRY AND WADE TO THE SAND BAR - YOU WILL SCREW UP THE FISHING! From a boat I cast toward the bank (using a chrome and blue she dog topwater) I work the topwater back across the top of the sand bar. (you will not see it but it is there) I have always caught trout there. You bait will go out into the pocket and obviously back across the sand bar toward the bank but the fish lie in that gut. Best on an incoming tide.

Left of the bridge is pretty bleak by wading. Too many waverunners. Down past the convention center there is a big flat, water is gin clear with fair amount of grass. You can find reds in there but soft plastics get hung up on every cast with grass and the waverunners launch there. Water is probably way too clear for the trout.

Back on the Port Isabel side there is a shoreline that you can wade out from between PI and Laguna Vista. The first 100 yards is pure knee deep mud but after that it is hard sand bottom. Good trout action there as well.

That is about all I can remember from wading from the bank.

Good luck!!

Jim

·
88 Ag
6,229 Posts
You can catch kingfish and even tarpon from the spi jetties. This is the first year in 5 or 6 years that we haven't gone down there for vacation but we put a pool in the back yard this spring and I want to swallow that pill first. I sure miss it though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Spi

Not to get your hopes up, but i have a friend who is an offshore/inshore capt in SPI. Called me today and said he was at the mouth of the jetties. water was crystal clear, and kings were skyrocketing all over the place. FYI, so clear that you had to use very light leaders for a hit.

·
Jalapeno!
129 Posts
I go down to SPI every summer for 2 weeks, 1 in early June and 1 in mid Aug.

What I like to do is fish for rays off the Piers, Pirates Landing Pier for late night and Fishbones pier for mid day fishing......

Then if we catch some rays and whiting we move to the Jetties and rig up to catch sharks at night.

We have had more luck in Aug than June catching the sharks..

There is a guy on the island that can rent you a kayak for 35-50 a day depending on length and single or double. Then you can paddle out near the old causeway and get into some action @ dawn and dusk.

Best surf fishing spot outside of PINS is between condos Flourence 1 and Del Mar? They are further down the beach and man you can really hook em. Its private beach access but you didn't hear that from me, ha..

That's how I fish when I am there..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts