2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that you can buy flats of ribbonfish and bull mackeral in Houston down by George R. Brown Convention center?

If anyone is familiar with the area and could offer some directions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Bayou City Seafood. North side, outside 610 near Gallery Furniture. They are in the book. Not familiar with the place downtown.

·
Registered
895 Posts
KevinA,

Its been years since I offshore fish, but I do remember a real good and inexpensive place on the east side of 59 across the way from the convention center. It was called something Charlie. May be Captain Charlies. It was a seafood export and market. Those were real affordable. We used to buy alot and keep in our freezer for offshore trips...

·
Kamikaze
4,628 Posts
I called Ocean Harvest Wholesale Inc (713 224-3474) at 59 and 45, 1111 Live Oak St. The lady quoted me 44# case of ribbons @ $1.05/lb and 36# case of squid @ $1.00/lb

·
Kamikaze
4,628 Posts
Ernest said:
Bayou City Seafood. North side, outside 610 near Gallery Furniture. They are in the book. Not familiar with the place downtown.
Bayou City Fish @ 713 694-4444

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Cat O'Lies/KevinA..how much does Bayou City charge for the different kinds.

Forgive my ignorance as I am usually the one launching the boat not buying bait, but how do these prices compare to what we find on the coast?

·
Kamikaze
4,628 Posts
I only called Ocean Harvest and their prices seem to be pretty good but I the lady couldn't tell me how big the ribbons and squid are. She no speaky goot engrish!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
For the ribbon fish, size and quality are the major factor in the price. Large line caught ribbons will be several dollars a pound, while the small ones are $10 or more for two dozen, which would only weigh around 3 lbs. Right now is a great time to get ribbons from the shrimpers, and you can get them for next to nothing if you know a few people down at the docks. I froze back 10 packs, with two dozen per package last month.

Mark

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made it back alive.

I checked a couple of the larger wholesalers and they could only sell boxes of 40 to 50 lbs on the ribbon fish........passed on that much quantity as we will use live bait primarily for King Fish, only needed 10 to 15lb incase we want to drop a couple on down riggers.

I did find a store on St. Emanuel ( Kim Hung Market) that sold them for $2.29 a pound. they are all 35 to 40" long and were individually wrapped.

I purchased eight large ribbon fish for $33.50 / $4.18 per fish....

Hopefully one of them will payoff with a 40 - 50 lb kingfish this weekend and we can place high in the SKA tournament.

I will let you know what happens, gonna prefish Thursday & Friday

Tournament fish Saturday & Sunday.....

·
Kamikaze
4,628 Posts
KevinA said:
I purchased eight large ribbon fish for $33.50 / $4.18 per fish....
OUCH!!!! I caught some really nice ribbons, about 36"-40", in Offats Bayou last fall. Wasn't targeting them but just came upon them and only managed to boat 4. I will definatley be out there this fall rigged and ready!!!

·
Kamikaze
4,628 Posts
Bait Prices

Cat O' Lies said:
Bayou City Fish @ 713 694-4444
I just called and here are the prices for bait!!

Cigar Minnow packaged 10X5lb boxes $1.85/lb - $92.50 case
Spanish Sardine packaged 1X50lb box $0.95/lb - $47.50 case
Squid packaged 24X1lb boxes $0.95/lb - $22.80 case
Ribbons approx. 36" $0.95/lb (not in stock now)
Pogies packaged 10X5lb boxes $0.95/lb - $47.50 case

Now the question is, does anyone want to go in on some of this??

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
I will be up for it upon my return from vacation.

Poggies don't look like that great a deal. My recollection was that they were $25.00 for a 25 lb. sack down in Galveston. Of course, its nice to buy in advance and save some time.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
KevinA said:
. . . . . .

I will let you know what happens, gonna prefish Thursday & Friday

Tournament fish Saturday & Sunday.....
Not to bust your chops, just looking for some info . . .

Why would you pre-fish for a king tourny? Are you just going out to scout weedlines and rips or are you actually going to put a bait in the water?

Do Kings generally stay in the same area? I was always under the impression that the smoker kings were loner fish and the snake kings were the schoolies.

William

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
WilliamH said:
Not to bust your chops, just looking for some info . . .

Why would you pre-fish for a king tourny? Are you just going out to scout weedlines and rips or are you actually going to put a bait in the water?

Do Kings generally stay in the same area? I was always under the impression that the smoker kings were loner fish and the snake kings were the schoolies.

William
well he is my dad(kevinA), and i think they were mainly going to scout the areas they gonna fish to check them out. they will be fishing as well tho. i know it gives me an excuse to go with them tomorrow lol. as for the kings, from what i have experienced thats how it is, smokers are pretty much on their lonesome, and the schoolies are the snakes..

·
Registered
746 Posts
Stopped at Kim Hung Market and no ribbon but Monster Squid @1.99 lb. Can get them in small pkgs frozen. Great for trolling! About 12" long. They sell bonita there too and all kinds of stuff I would never eat. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts