2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Practice safe fishing; use a Corky
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Surfside surf around Access 5 on Saturday, and had beautiful water, surrounded by bait, but never saw a single trout caught. Caught some Spanish mackeral and ladyfish, but no trout. Has anyone had much luck in the Surfside surf lately? Is the bite later in the day, or what?

I entered the water prior to surnrise.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think it has been calm for too many days. I always have my best trout days the first few days after it gets green. I've heard different opinions why, too clear, not enough oxygen in the water after too many days without wave action but it just seems that after a long run of calm water the trout fishing dies off.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Yup--disappointing yeterday. We did better during weak tides a while back.
I thought rougher surf would improve the catching. Agree with all that too clear too long slows it up.
High salinity up the bays and bayous may be drawing trout out of the surf, too, but they are still killing them at the Gal jetties.
FYI my one trout yeserday AM died very quickly on stringer. This time of year they can normally live all day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We went to Surfside Saturday morning and the water was slick calm.All we managed to catch was 1 keeper trout, some whiting and about a thousand sharks. We went back that evening when the water had a chop to it and caught 4 keeper trout and 2 throwbacks and 1 Spanish Mack..We saved the big shrimp for the table too.

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Like the others said, too clear, too flat, too long plus full moon leads the fish to feeding throughout the night. I believe water conditions are gonna have to get bad before it gets good again.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
I believe they are feeding at night under the full moon. The fact that we have been having 2 tide days hasn't helped much either.

·
Banned
214 Posts
The water warmed up so quickly the past 8-9 days, along with outside temp reaching the mid+ 90's, that the trout have SLOWED down in the surf. Very slow...and yes, with this clear water, the bite stops when daylight appears...and starts just at dusk/dark. They have been biting good at night under lites. Summer "dog days" have reached us sooner than last year. The north and south shorelines are preety decent for morining and late afternoon bites....morning being better with the falling tide. Just be patient and slow the lures down...SLOW...maybe even try a small popping cork.....

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ya, it's been clear for way too long. It needs to get chopped up again and then get flat.

It's usually better fishing a few days after it gets flattened out again.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Well thats how it's been at Galveston too, but I decided to go out to the 3rd bar and they were out there. I didn't get a single bite fishing the first or second bar, but as soon as I got to the 3rd bar. BAM! Trout everywhere. i had to get wet though. dont go out there if you cant swim.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
Don't go out there without a PFD. In fact, I recommend you wear one even if you are not entertaining going to the 3rd bar! All it takes is one misstep or one wave over your head and you are a goner.

·
In the Surf
664 Posts
caugh them at surfside last thursday at access 5, so they were there. Hopefully this depression will stir things up a little bit, then we can get them good when it calms down.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
golfer said:
go at night its on
Are you talking about wading the beachfront at night or fishing with lights in the surf from a boat or pier?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts