2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The alarm is going off on my '99 60 hp Yamaha. The water pump is working great and it's fine for the run 1/2 way across West Bay then it gets hot.
Will cool pretty quickly and run fine then alarm. It also looks to be blowing a little oil.
What's going on? Thermostat? Head gasket? ??

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last year, but the pump seems to be working fine, the tell-tale is running strong. Something is blocking the circulation in the water jacket or thermostat I think.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
The circuit that the cooling water flows through may be corroding up on you. You will get good flow but the heat transfer will be diminished. Buddy had the same problem a few years back and cleaning up the pathway fixed the problem. (mechanic job unless you're much better with tools than me) By the way, he had no symptoms in cold weather months only in warm water did the overheat problem arise.

·
Banned
705 Posts
I have a friend who is a boat tech. He recommends that you can put your outdrive in a bucket with some water and acid and it will flush out any corrosion in the jacket.
Not for the faint hearted. You have to flush that out in a hurry to get the acid/water out. If you do it right you don't have to teardown the engine. Same for v8 inboards. Different procedure but same results.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,569 Posts
RedXCross said:
Thermostat?? . I am not sure about that motor , Kenny , I will run it across BIL .. Blowing oil ,,,, HOW??
Best of my recollection, the 60's have a themostat. I can't remeber but don't think they have a pressure (popit) valve. Check your model number and visit http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx and look at the cylinder crankcase assembly for your model.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
What turned out to be the problem?
kenny said:
The alarm is going off on my '99 60 hp Yamaha. The water pump is working great and it's fine for the run 1/2 way across West Bay then it gets hot.
Will cool pretty quickly and run fine then alarm. It also looks to be blowing a little oil.
What's going on? Thermostat? Head gasket? ??

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You got me!
Once I got it back from psyco-mechanic and dropped it off at a shop in LaMarque there wasn't enough time for a diagnosis before the holiday. Maybe tomorro (Monday) or Wednesday for sure.
My aluminum work is also ready for me to install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.