2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found these little guys on a weedline about 50 miles out. At first we thought they were triggers, but as you can see there are some differences. No teeth, kind of docile in the water. The only bait they could get in their mouth was a little bait-catcher jig. I couldn't identify them using McClain's, so I'll ask you. What is this?

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
We saw one of the same thing Sat out of Cameron. He was floating with a small peice of grass and I had no clue what it was. Now I know.

·
Registered
764 Posts
filefish/bait stealers. Some of them get pretty big in the Atlantic and make for a fun fight on light tackle, but I've never taken one to try and eat. There are too many other more desireable fish out there.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Orange spotted filefish. The scrawled filefish has a much longer tail and has more color. Often the "orange" spots are more brown than orange. Mike

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
last year around this time of year, i remember seeing what i thought was small triggers about the size of a quarter, i even cast netted a bunch of em just to look at it. Every little patch of weeds or softball size bundle of weeds had one or two under it. was this oarnge filefish what i was seeing or were they small triggers?

Thanks
tim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Defiantly a filefish because of the lone dorsal spine, triggers have 3 dorsal spines, not shore what species but definitely a Filefish. not a scrawled bc the snout is not long enough, and the caudal fin is not extravigant enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts