2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Dis Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listening to the local talk guys on the radio coming home tonight. They were talking about what makes you a *******. Not a Jeff Foxworthy version but more analytical and why ******** are good for society. A few qualities were:

1. ******** believe if it is broke, I can fix it myself (I relate, fixed a broken finger 30 years ago with a pair of channel locks - and beer).
2. ******** aren't simple minded - they like basic solutions to complex problems so they can get started fixing it.
3. ******** take pride in their work and the results of that work.
4. ******** love the outdoors.
5. Doesn't matter how much money you make - if you are ******* you stay true to your beliefs.
6. ... and if you are a ******* you aren't offended when people call you one.

Looking for more positive examples from our 2Coolers. What do y'all say?

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I believe you might be a ******* if you run over a dead squirrel deliberately for the purpose of tenderizing the roadkill for an old buzzard. In that case, you might be a *******.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Waistdeep said:
Listening to the local talk guys on the radio coming home tonight. They were talking about what makes you a *******. Not a Jeff Foxworthy version but more analytical and why ******** are good for society. A few qualities were:

1. ******** believe if it is broke, I can fix it myself (I relate, fixed a broken finger 30 years ago with a pair of channel locks - and beer).
2. ******** aren't simple minded - they like basic solutions to complex problems so they can get started fixing it.
3. ******** take pride in their work and the results of that work.
4. ******** love the outdoors.
5. Doesn't matter how much money you make - if you are ******* you stay true to your beliefs.
6. ... and if you are a ******* you aren't offended when people call you one.

Looking for more positive examples from our 2Coolers. What do y'all say?
Im all about what you say, and thats me, but I dont consider myself a *******. Its too narrow of a definition.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
one possible origin of this phrase is from the red kerchief or bandana worn by union miner to signify their solidarity with each other and thier identificcation with the union

·
Dis Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gary,
Quote: 'Im all about what you say, and thats me, but I dont consider myself a *******. Its too narrow of a definition.'

That is what I was thinking, it still sort of has a negative connation depending on who is saying it.... But they were saying it is a good thing and we should be proud of the term '*******'. I'm still thinking about it...

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Waistdeep said:
Gary,
'Im all about what you say, and thats me, but I dont consider myself a *******. Its too narrow of a definition.'

That is what I was thinking, it still sort of has a negative connation depending on who is saying it.... But they were saying it is a good thing and we should be proud of the term '*******'.
Like a racial slur?

·
Dis Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gary

Gary said:
Like a racial slur?
Yep alot like that. I was thinking of one word in particular I hate that seems to draw a parallel to how '*******' is used.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Alright, from what I heard and it makes sense, the term ******* came from the Oil Patch. All the roughnecks wore long sleeves and the only thing that tanned or burnt was their necks. See. It makes sense to me at least. I wonder if Snopes has anything.

·
Dis Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well we're gettin a little off target. I was looking for y'alls examples of why being a ******* is a good thing (as contrasted to those that think ******** are stupid)....

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Waistdeep said:
Yep alot like that. I was thinking of one word in particular I hate that seems to draw a parallel to how '*******' is used.
Some are proud of these words, some think its an insult. I guess it depends on which side of the fence folks are on. I kinda think it limits ones perspective to pigeonhole themselves.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
I know that there are those that use the term ******* in a derogatory manner. However, I don't mind anyone calling me one. I have always taken it as a down to earth type person that could get by just fine in what ever situation they find themselves in.

It brings to mind part of a Hank Williams Jr. song. "We can skin a buck, and run a trout line and a country boy can survive"

·
Registered
237 Posts
A ******* was a farmer (also like the rig workers) you wore(sp) longsleeve shirts, buttoned to the collar. The only thing that was red was their neck. Also, they were of a conservative nature.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
I grew up in the oil patch ... poor, white, but not trash. So, I guess I've been, known and respected a lot of ********. Disliked a few too. I agree with Gary, the "accepted"? definition or connotation is negative.

It's a conundrum in my mind, it speaks of honesty, hard work, self-sufficiency, patriotism ... along with plain ole knowledge like hunting, fishing, diesel repair, welding and a host of other skills many envy when they need them. But it also alludes to narrow or simple minded approaches, trailer parks, bad marriages, boozing, ... you know the picture.

Life is what you make of it, regardless of your beginnings or station in life. You can be a rich, selfish, narrow-minded '*******' or a poor, honest, socially respectable pillar of your community and family.

Titles don't matter, people do.

But I wax non-poetic and off-topic. ;)

A definition of a ******* that's positive? Gotta quote my dad (best ******* I ever knew) on this one ...

"You don't keep book on friends."

Reactions: flatsfats

·
Dis Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think of a ******* as a patriot, someone who believes strongly in right and wrong and lives by those beliefs. A person who doesn't feel compelled to talk when it wont make a difference, willing to take action action when needed A person willing to stand up for his/her beliefs and strong enough not to care what others say when they have evaluated a situation for themselves.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts